Thursday, August 27, 2015

Last Night's Pillow Making : :

With the kids returning to school, comes the return of some regular daytime sewing hours for myself, and if I'm lucky, some after-bedtime sewing on occasion as well. Last night I treated myself to a little late night pillow making. Nothing fancy, just a quick fabric pull in a fun color scheme I've been brooding over. Black & whites + teal, mustardy yellow, blue, gray, & a rosy shade of pink, what's not to love!

Pillow Fabrics

It wasn't until I snapped this photo that I recognized the color similarity to Katarina Roccella's new Imprint collection. I'll have to add it to my must-stash list, I love the way these colors play together!

Scrappy pillows just make me happy, especially when they come together quick! I decided on a sawtooth-like design, sewing two strips together, a black & white print with one of the colorful fabrics, the same way I do when making quilt binding, piecing each strip with a diagonal seam. Once all the strips were sewn together, I staggered them to create a zig-zag pattern. A quilt in this style of block would be awesome!

Pillow Cover

For the very first time, I backed this pillow using an Art Gallery Fabrics voile. Voile has the most luxurious feel! I can't believe I haven't tried it before!

Voile Back

I finished my pillow with a Cultivate print binding leftover from my recent Arizona Herringbone Quilt. I love a striped binding and these peachy-coral colors are just perfect!

Pillow Binding

Pillow Cover

In went my pillow form and VOILA!

New Pillow

The first of many small items I hope to make and sell in my little Etsy shop!

♡ Maureen


  1. I hope it's as simple as it looks. Will be a first for me, but will try. I'll post a pic when finished. ( Good, bad, or indifferent .

  2. I love that design, and in fact I'm considering doing the quilt block thing you mentioned! Is that a simple tuck in pillow cover with no zipper, or is the zipper hidden. I would love to do some cushions/pillows with my scraps that are piling up. Thanks for showing us. I love it!!

  3. Gorgeous! Are they 2 1/2" strips? Thanks!

  4. Love that you added the rosy pink - it really works and freshens up the palette :) I'm also a fan of binding around pillows, but I can't figure out how to do it as I usually do a zipper closure on the bottom of my pillows. Thinking cap on lol :)

  5. Gorgeous! Are they 2 1/2" strips? Thanks!

    1. The center five strips were made using 2.5" and the strips at the ends are 2" -- ! made this one to fit the 14" pillow insert that I had on hand! :)

  6. Lovely fabric choices! Pillows are a great project for short times with our sewing machines. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful creative day!

  7. Hi!
    Looks fabulous!! Nice choice of fabrics and great work!
    Best wishes
    Vanessa from Hamburg, Germany

  8. Great and awesome, I really enjoy reading the post, thanks for sharing I really like it.


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!