Thursday, July 19, 2012

For the Kiddos : :

There certainly hasn't been enough sewing/crafting time happening with the kids this Summer! How about for you? Usually, crafting together as a family is a huge part of our Summer, so I'm pretty bummed about it! But don't feel too bad, I think I'm the only one! I had so many things I wanted to make with them, that's just not happening. The main reason being this weather! It's just too nice hot to be inside. So, today I thought it would be good to share the couple of projects we actually did work on together before too much time passes.

Have you seen the book Sewing School? It's full of simple sewing projects for children to make. We've used it to help guide us through a couple different projects in the past (here), and it was really helpful. This time, in the early morning a couple of weeks ago, Jacob joined me in the sewing room and had decided on following a pattern in this book from start to finish.

Sewing School 4


It was fun to watch, to lend a hand when he needed it, and to have that chance for just the two of us to work together on our own projects.

Sewing School 3


He did a great job! Teaching him the basics during our Sewing Buttons 101 craft, really has given him the tools he needs to do this type of project almost completely on his own. And, he even has plans (weather permitting) to make more as gifts. Aren't they cute?!

Sewing School


Goofball Sewing School


My Student

Another project that we really had fun with are these fork pompoms!

Fork Pom poms

We've made these several times (here and here), and this time we combined fuzzy, wool yarn and Divine Twine to make a colorful strand of garland, and even used one pompom to make a sweet flower!

red pompoms

If you're looking for a fun and easy craft to do with your own children or grandchildren, this is it!

I also finished up another Train Pillow Cover Set, as an etsy order, that I have to share! I've had my shop closed most of this Summer, and it certainly feels strange to not be busy making all those crowns and pillows like I was. Hopefully, I'll be plenty busy this Fall, when my shop is open, and I give my all to making this sewing gig my full time job!!

train pillow covers

For now, I'm going to keep hoping for a nice two-day stretch of rain to happen sometime this Summer! One for a full day of crafting together, and the second to clean up our mess!!

24 comments:

  1. Your son is so cute! and love the animal he made. It's so fun to teach our children how to sew ~ I taught my son to use the sewing machine to alter his tee shirts and pants (to make them skinny). He still likes to do some sewing from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son (and his bear!) are both fabulous. My daughter's been at camp for three weeks, but she comes home this weekend and I can't wait to sew with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god, you're boy is so like you! this is beautiful to see you both crafting together! you're train will be amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! We look so much alike!! And, I'm so happy that all three of my kids love being creative! It makes me finding the time and understanding I need much, much easier!!

      Delete
  4. still, every day... those trains get repinned! ;) i will hope for a couple of days of rain for you! your little guy is so cute! i love that age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nicke, I think I owe you for this particular order!! :) I do plan to mail that special package out to you sometime early next week!

      Delete
  5. Aww, the train pillows are so cute! I'm glad you got at least a little crafting time with your sweet kiddos, but I hope you get more time soon, too! Enjoy your day, Maureen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky Jacob, he will know how to sew on a button and won't be afraid of needle and thread when someday he is grown and goes off to college. :)

    Your Train Pillows are adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maureen, hope you don't mind but I had to pin your photo of those darling train pillows and shared it on my facebook page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! I'll happily swap you a rainy day for a sunny one... still waiting for summer here in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wild Olive has a very cute (and kid/beginner sewer friendly) Ewok pattern (free!) http://wildolive.blogspot.com/2012/05/may-4th-be-with-you.html

    Great way to use up scraps and/or old clothes (I used a pair of corduroy pants when I made one for my cat nephew).

    Your son did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! Love your son's bear, and he is so cute! Our kids smiles are the best, aren't they? You've brightened my thus-far challenging day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my you son is such a handsome young man and he looks so much like you. He is also has your talent. What fun he seems to be having.

    Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the bear young man :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness, jacob is too cute! and i love that he enjoys crafting with you. lucky boy, lucky mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow great to have a son interested in what you do! Most boys wouldn't bother.
    Hope you get to spend more sewing time with your children =D

    ReplyDelete
  15. IS it wrong that at first I thought...your kid is so cute and the flipped otu when I saw your fabric stash!!!! Helloo.....nice!!!!! Drooling :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jacob is so cute! He did an awesome job. I'm drooling over your fabric stash in the background.

    PS: you need to add one of those app things that let you sign up via Email for your posts! That way I never miss anything.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the train pillows. If we ever have a boy, Brent wants him to have a train room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice work- getting the kids involved with art projects/crafts is super fun in my world as well. It's great seeing what they can come up with and how they work through a project.
    Also, it's pretty darn cool sharing something with them I think is so cool...
    (hope you're getting over your auto-immune bump soon!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!