Thursday, July 23, 2015

Patchwork Easy : :

So often it's just one print in a fabric collection that will inspire the direction I choose to go when starting a new quilt. In this case, it was the gorgeous Wispy Daybreak floral from Leah Duncan's Morning Walk collection for AGF that both influenced each of the fabric choices I made when putting together my latest Monthly Sparks bundle and what would become of them.

Morning Walk Inspired

As I shared in my last post, my goal this week was to sew, simply. To head straight to the lovely bundle of Summer colors that's been waiting for me and to just begin. I started by laying out each print in a way to imagine them as simple patchwork squares for an easy, fun, relaxing quilt top.  As a way to make this bundle of twelve FQ cuts expand just a little, I started digging through my baskets of scraps and unfinished work. At the very bottom, a stack of sweet pastel colored fabrics, neatly trimmed, completely abandoned, already pieced in little hourglass blocks. Perfect!

hourglass twist quilt beginnings

To keep things easy and relaxed, I used a 6" ruler to do most of the work as I cut my bundle into a pile of squares for patchwork to alternate with the finished hourglass blocks.

simply & easy

In no time at all I was piecing together the beginnings of a new quilt top. The reward was the sewing. After such a long break it felt so good. The bonus is having something pretty to share that I really love!

Hourglass & Squares

Quilt Top Center

Illuminated Patchwork

Since I'm always trying to sneak at least a little of my Wild & Free collection into each new thing I make, I decided to give this a little 3" Folk Plaid border before adding a final row of patchwork.

Finished!

My Fletching Chant arrows prints will make the perfect back for this one!

Ready For Quilting

This quilt top feels so very different from my usual style, much more effortless and uncomplicated. I really enjoyed this one and hope you do, too!

♡ Maureen

29 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great looking quilt. I always love the look of patchwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilt! What are the dark lines?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My computer is showing dark outlining on all the piecing. Good to know they are not really there. Thanks

      Delete
    2. because of the light going through the quilt top, you can see the seam allowance as a dark shadow.

      Delete
    3. Yes, in photos 5 and 6, it's from the light as Fishkopp says. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Stunning quilt and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NEAT! GREAT PROJECT!
    msstitcher1214@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great colors - it looks like stained glass!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the look of this quilt!! So beautiful with the light coming through. I have been saving up low volume charm squares to make a patchwork quilt. I have never done any hour glass blocks, but I think I need to!!! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A delightful quilt top! The photo of the quilt moving in the breeze and the sun shining so brightly is my favorite. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this quilt--thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blog is so nice to me. I will continue to come here again and again. Visit my link as well.
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!