Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Pattern Change : :

Emmy Grace in the light!

Yesterday, when I finally sat down to continue work on my Emmy Grace quilt in my Winter's Garden quilt pattern, I just couldn't commit to making that same exact pattern with these fabrics. Interesting changes kept coming to mind, distracting me and slowing down the usual speed that I work at. So, I ended up giving into just one idea, to patchwork my sashing with the Emmy Grace low volume prints. First by strip piecing!

Emmy Grace -- low volumes for strip piecing

Then I cut my patchwork!

Emmy Grace -- low volume patchwork

After that I decided each of my finished blocks really should be framed with either the darker prints in this collection or maybe with coordinating solids. So, I pulled a stack of Pure Elements that would play nicely!

Emmy Grace -- solids pull

I began by framing just one block, adding the sashing after, and just like that my new pattern emerged!

Emmy Grace -- framed & sashed #1

Right away, I was so excited about where this was heading! I've been wanting to create something using low volume prints in this way for so long. This turned out to be the perfect opportunity and collection to use. After a good stretch of sewing time, my idea grew into a quilt top that I'm so happy with!

Emmy Grace -- growing!

Honestly, I really do work best this way. Having the freedom to change my mind, with my main focus being to simply create the best quilt I can with the fabrics I have to work with. I've never made the same quilt pattern twice, not sure why I thought I could do it this time!

An Emmy Grace quilt top

I love the stained glass look of sunlight through patchwork!

Emmy Grace in the light!

You can find this gorgeous Emmy Grace collection available at Contemporary Cloth, Bobbie Lou's Fabric Factory, Llama Fabrics, Pink Castle Fabrics, The Intrepid Thread, Fat Quarter Shop, and Stash Fabrics!

Maureen

34 comments:

  1. This turned out SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much detail in this quilt! I am about to make my first ever quilt block today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! After reading your original sneak peak of this quilt, I went ahead and ordered the whole Emmy Grace collection, I just love it so much! And this is a stunning quilt :) kudos!

    Menekse x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen, this is truly the most beautiful quilt of yours I've seen...I mean that sincerely. From the patchwork sashing, the Pure Elements solids framing the blocks...gorgeous! I've got to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy how the low volume sashing makes the entire quilt top lighter :) LOVE IT :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it`s just fantastic and love how the low volumen highlight the central block!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maureen you hav Amazing talent. I salute you. God has blessed you. So appreciate you sharing with us and inspiring us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic quilt. I wish I had time to complete things like that. Hopefully some day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to see some of your felting. Do you use dry needle or wet? You should have a box on the side of this blog of the winner each week. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love the changes you made :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love this quilt. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The framing absolutely made this quilt for me. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is going to be my next quilt. Maybe Ill use your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A question. I see that the low volume patchwork border fits exactly around your sashed squares. So did you add the colored sashings first and then calculate the patchwork border? In your post you indicate that you made the patchwork border and THEN decided to add the sashing. So is it just a lucky coincidence that the border fit? Sorry, don't get the process here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no, I had already cut strips of the low volume prints for my sashing in 3" by 12" cuts and had laid it out just as I did in my original Winter's Garden quilt. Once I decided to patchwork them, I simply sewed those strips together and then cut my new patchwork strips from that. There was a little extra length that I, at first, thought I would just trim away, but then I thought to frame my blocks. The overhang which was about an inch on each end determined that my solid fabric frame would be in inch around my block. I hope that makes sense! :)

      Delete
  15. Girl that is what pattern testers are for...making the quilts you don't want to remake! LOL Just remake a block or two for your pattern making and then leave it at that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my second most all-time favorite! Beautiful. My all-time favorite is the one with your self-portrait on it. I will always love that one best, because I watched it being created from start to finish. Especially the beginning of "what am I going to do with this?"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maureen, I love this quilt! Do you have a pattern written for it? I just made a quilt with a pattern called "Grandma Mary's Five Patch" (see Etsy) and it looks a lot like your Winter's Garden quilt. I like the changes that you made with this quilt, and I would love to make one like it with my Emmy Grace FQs. Do you have measurements on your finished blocks, and sashings? And, would a FQ bundle with some solids added in be enough to make this quilt? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, here it is! I love it!!! Please tell me you're selling a pattern for it - I want it, pretty please!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!