Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Tule Patchwork Bag : :

Tule Sunset Patchwork Bag

In time to bring along on our Saturday day-trip, I stitched up this quick & easy tote bag making use of the Tule patchwork strips I had leftover from my Sunset quilt top. The outside and straps are made up of my scrappy strips and pieced together using the same Herringbone Quilt method that I just shared this past Monday. This time I sewed my rectangle panels together off-set just enough so this scrappy pattern looks more like a braid rather than the "V" herringbone design. I like it!

Tule Sunset Patchwork Bag

I used all but just a few of my scraps, so even though my bag construction is about as simple as it gets, I'm happy! I do enjoy making bags, but for me -- simple is very good!

It's lined with a pretty AGF Pure Element in Sweet Mint, with a nice layer of cotton batting to give it weight, boxed out sides, and finished with simple, densely quilted, throw-over-the-shoulder length straps.

Exposed Knots

Squared Off

Quilted Straps

I tossed in just a few supplies to work on quilting it during the drive and if there was a moment for handwork throughout the day. I love my thrifted stork scissors!

Quilting Supplies

There ended up being several opportunities for this project on Saturday. It was so wonderful to just sit and add my hand-quilting stitches while watching Kevin & the kids fish!

Tule Sunset Patchwork Bag

Fishing

Tule Sunset Patchwork Bag

I'm especially glad I brought it along to get these pretty pictures!

Tule Sunset Patchwork Bag

I'll be adding many, many more stitches as I find the time. I'll be sure to share what it looks like finished with all that lovely hand-quilting!

Happy Sewing!!    Maureen 

25 comments:

  1. beautiful bag, Maureen ... and the view..*sigh* KILL me... !! :))) - where do you live ? the fall view is really beautiful in your pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in Potter County, Pennsylvania which is gorgeous, but these pictures were taken in Allegany State Park which is less than an hour away from us. I love it here, especially this time of year!

      Delete
  2. Quality time in more than one way. Beautiful Bag and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I hope the photos show what a beautiful time we had! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Love the bag. LOVE the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you are so funny: " I stitched up this quick & easy tote bag"...I am snorting coffee up my nose trying not to laugh out loud at myself (I'm at my desk at work where I'm supposed to be working, not reading blogs) - it would take me days of angst to sew up a bag. Weeks if I wanted it to actually look like a bag, lol! You are so talented :) (oh, and the bag is very pretty indeed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Well, compared to the bags I admire and see everywhere -- the Go Anywhere bag, the Super Tote, etc.. this is as easy as it gets! Yes, it would be much more work if I didn't use my patchwork scraps and had to do all that piecing, but it really was as easy as sewing two rectangles together, leaving the top open! Haha :)

      Delete
  5. Love the bag. Curious though, what do you do with the knots you have left? I usually pop them through to hide them when I first start quilting. I did notice this looks like embroidery floss, so that probably couldn't happen. What is the plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually going to leave the knots exposed, I like it! I'm only quilting with two strands, so I could have gently pull the knots underneath the layers so they're hidden, but I decided not to. It's a little funky, but I think it will look pretty once it's all quilted! :)

      Delete
  6. I love your bag! Can you tell us the rectangles (front + back) measurements? It´s difficult to see how big it is. Thank you!
    Susuko from Berlin, Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the images and the tote......XXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty bag and a great use of leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Think I have to go bundle shopping and also have a go at making one of these bags! Thanks for all your great work and post on the blog I so much enjoy reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute, Maureen! I love this fabric line!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute. :) I love how bright it is! (I also live vicariously through your photos since I miss PA so much in the fall, especially)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute. :) I love how bright it is! (I also live vicariously through your photos since I miss PA so much in the fall, especially)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the bag and the photo location is stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!