Monday, May 7, 2012

Four Fat Quarter Apron Tutorial : :

Flirty Fat Quarter Apron

Today I'm sharing a tutorial for a half apron that sews up quickly and requires less than four fat quarters to make! This step by step tutorial creates the basic half apron design, however you can take this simple pattern and add your own details -- applique, pockets, longer straps to wrap around to tie in the front, etc. If you have any questions leave a comment or feel free to email me at maureencracknell@hotmail.com. Now let's get started!!    

What you'll need : :
  • 1 - fat quarter measuring 18" x 22" for the main apron fabric
  • 1 - fat quarter cut in half, into two equal pieces measuring 11"x 18" for the side panel fabrics
  • 1 - fat quarter to cut a piece measuring 9" x 22" for the waistband
  • 1 - fat quarter to cut two pieces measuring 7" 22" for the straps
  • coordinating thread
  • Sewing pins
  • Sharp scissors and/or a rotary cutter/mat set 

Creating the Apron Skirt : :

1. Using the fat quarter chosen for the first layer of the apron skirt, create a hem by folding in the bottom edge 1/4" and press 2. Fold 1/4" again, press, and pin in place 3. Repeat this step for both sides of the fat quarter piece  4. Sew along inner folded edge and the outer edge to create a double seam

My creation

Once finished the bottom of the fat quarter and both sides should have a nice double seam hem.

Finished Double Seam

Creating the Apron Skirt Panels : : 

5. Using the fat quarter chosen for creating each side panel, cut this fat quarter in half, to two pieces measuring 11" x 18"  6. Using the same steps for hemming the skirt, create a hem on both the bottom and each side of the panel pieces. There is no need to hem the top 7. Lay each panel piece on top of the hemmed skirt piece at a slight angle as shown below

My creation

Once the panel pieces are positioned, pin in place.

pin panels in place

Creating the Apron Waistband : :  

8. From the fat quarter chosen for the waistband, cut a piece measuring 9" x 22"  9. Fold in each edge a 1/4" and press 10. Fold this piece in half so the sides match up and press well

My creation

The pressed waistband should have no exposed raw edges.

Finished Waistband

Attaching the Apron Waistband : :  

11. Place the finished apron skirt inside the waistband, so the waistband covers the raw edges at the top of the apron skirt  12. Pin in place 13. Sew along both the top of the waistband, staying close to the edge, and along the bottom, leaving both sides of the waistband open (for the straps)

My creation

Remove the pins, now it's time to make the straps!

remove pins -- Finished apron front

Creating the Apron Straps : :  

14. From the fat quarter chosen for the straps, cut two pieces measuring 7" x 22"  15. Using the same instructions for creating the waistband, fold in edges, press and then fold in half  16. sew along the outside edge of each strap piece, staying close to the edge  17. Insert strap piece into the opening left on each side of the waistband, pin in place  18. Sew straps in place, for this I always sew two seams

My creation

Voila! Using less than four fat quarters you've created a super cute apron! My favorite part is that the bottom skirt fabric stays draped and you can lift the side panels to wipe your hands almost like hanging tea towels! Love that!! 

Four Fat Quarter Apron

The wide waistband makes this apron easy wearing and flattering to all our shapes, and the angled side panel pieces add a sweet feminine and flirty-ness, too!

Four Fat Quarter Apron

I hope you enjoy making and wearing this apron! You can read about my reason for creating this apron here. As always, if you decided to give this tutorial a try -- be sure to let me know and feel free to share a photo on my facebook page anytime!!

Happy Monday, friends!!  Maureen 

* * * * * * UPDATE : :  After making this apron a few more times myself and having so many of my blog followers and friends make one as well, I do recommend lengthening the straps. The size in the tutorial will work for a size small/medium, so I just suggest that you adjust the length to a comfortable length for yourself or for the person who will be wearing it! THANKS!! M

45 comments:

  1. Love this! Thanks!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow thank's for the tutorial, that will be a great gift for my mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter's preschool teacher wears an apron every day. Looks like I have an end of year gift for her! Thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! You might need to add a pocket for her chalk! I kept this tutorial simple, but I thought adding a pocket to each side panel would be perfect! I wear aprons almost everyday, too! Love them!!

      :) Maureen

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the great tutorial, Maureen! That's such a cute style! I wear an apron every single time I work in the kitchen, and I love the idea of the hanging "towels" on the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shape of this, Maureen. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another absolutely fabulous patter/tutorial. Thanks for sharing your talents with me. I have been so inspired by you. I have tried several things I had never done before because you make them look so simple. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing the apron tutorial with us. :) It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Maureen, for sharing this with us. There's something about the simplicity of the look that really appeals to me. I have fat quarters just itching to become a USA apron for a UK friend. I'll share pics when I get it made, probably next month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I admit, I couldn't pay attention to the tutorial right now, I was too busy falling in love with your pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, so beautiful!! Where can I get these fabrics? I didn't see a link??

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shared the fabric info last week, when I first shared this new apron -- http://maureencracknellhandmade.blogspot.com/2012/05/aprons-for-haiti.html

      They are from my sponsor Fabric Envy, you can find a link on my sidebar, and the fabrics are Hello Luscious by Moda! :)

      Delete
  11. I just noticed that one of the measurements might be off? For the side panel fabrics it says to cut a FQ in half, final measurement being 11 x 22. If the longer side is 22, then I think side we would be cutting from is 18, and then in half would be 9. So, do the side panels end up being 9 x 22? Or am i just confused?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the corrections -- THANK YOU! It never fails, no matter how many times I read it over, I always miss something! I appreciate you letting me know and hope that no one had cut into their fabrics yet!! :)

      Delete
    2. I love your blog and this tutorial is the perfect combo of super cute and fairly easy :) I'm going to make one for my future sister-in-law's bridal shower!

      Delete
  12. This is just great Maureen. I think I'm going to run with your idea about using the side panels to wipe hands and use linen for them, with a pretty print on the centre panel and waistband/ties. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the apron design, can't believe how simple it is to make as well! I think I'll definitely make this =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's the bomb diggity. I'd love a skirt that looks like that too!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very cute - thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Thanks for throwing it up online for all of us scavengers to pick over! This will be made a few times over in my house in the next few weeks, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is sooooo pretty!!!!
    thank you for sharing!!!!
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute Maureen and as always great, clear & wonderful pictures on the tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the great tutorial! What a pretty apron and pattern. I know it must be a lot of work doing tutorials and I appreciate it as I'm sure all your followers do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi - I hope you don't mind that I posted this tutorial on my blog...I gave all the credit to you and posted your link. I also highlighted the story about Haiti. I will be going to your blog again and again! Thanks, Dizzymaiden - http://dizzymaiden.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhhhh...I just may have to whip one of these up! Love it! Super figure flattering too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this tutorial! What type of pins do you use? Where did you get them from? Mine are terrible and yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great tutorial! I just love aprons and this is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is beautiful, and you make it look so simple! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for this tutorial! Here my new apron :
    http://avec.deux.z.over-blog.com/article-tablier-de-cuisine-107167621.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh yes, I love this idea. I have several fat quarters and now I know exactly what I am going to do with a few of them. Thanks so much for sharing and your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really a cute apron. Thank you for the update on the longer ties. I am no longer a "small/medium" boohoo. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am Sew excited to share this tutorial at Quilt Camp this year!!! Our theme is quilted kitchen I'll be bringing lots of fat quarters to spread the love!!!
    Thank you so much for sharing!!

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  32. tempted to try it and the side panels make into big pockets, it would be great for pegs, 'A Peg Bag Apron"

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you for posting this tutorial. I made one for a raffle at work. The proceeds will go to our Christmas charity.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just made two of these tonight. They turned out wonderful. Your instructions were so easy to understand

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just made two of these tonight. They turned out wonderful! Your instructions were clear and so easy to understand especially with pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  36. i just made mine and it's sooo stuning i feel it's almost a shame to mess it up. maybe i'll put my everyday clothes over the apron to protect it. hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you're a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!