Wednesday, January 27, 2016

HST Options : :

For Something New

After finishing up my Diamond Weave quilt top using my Fleet & Flourish blues, aqua, creams, peach, and reds, I pulled the plum prints from my basket, adding in AGF's new Aurora Red Pure Element, plus a pretty variety of purples and golden yellows. These colors are certainly bold, vibrant, and attention getting! A perfect project wake-me-up for these stark Winter days!

Purple & Gold

When I pulled these fabrics I had a very specific pattern idea in mind. Something I dreamt up while working on the last quilt, that sadly left my mind since. I know it involved HSTs, again, so I've started there, hoping to summon up my lost plan. But, nothing is coming back to be...

And so, I've been playing with HST's, lots of them! Below is the first block option I put together. Something simple with endless possibility!

Block Options

Setting four together could be the start of a very pretty medallion style quilt... But I wasn't in love, so I couldn't commit to sewing my units togther. What do you think of this design?

Four Blocks

Then this morning, with fresh eyes, I happened upon this new layout option. 

This Morning

Both work beautifully as a center medallion beginning or as a repetitive block style quilt, maybe set on point? Do you have a preference? 

I'd love to know!

 ♡ Maureen 

31 comments:

  1. I really like the top option, with the red on one corner, and the yellow on the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely prefer the first one mostly because I've seen the second one so many times and you are too unique to do something predictable. UNLESS, you use the second choice as a medallion and add something amazing to it. Which I'm sure you'd do! I'm no help at all am I...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, now that i see them all together, now I understand. If you take the first block and multiply and rotate you get the second block, and the third one is completely different!!! I think I am going to stick to the second one, it's more dynamic!!! So many options with HST though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your second option, but the first one just sings! Your fabric line is awesome. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would prefer the third one, mostly because I have seen a lot on the second one around. The third one is just different enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of the latter with maybe different block variations throughout. So multiple purple square outlines with each center deigns varying throughout. Just a thought :) I really like how just a hint of the red makes the rest of it pop throughout... The red center in the first is very... in your face? I just think the smaller pops of red compliments the collection better. Just my opinion! GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to see what you decide to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both have their pluses, however I really like the first one with perhaps a little tweeking so that the middle red isn't as big. Just my thoughts. I luv red purple combo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the last picture with the star inside the square. The yellow is just so pretty and sunny looking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful fabrics. I love the last one as a medallion in the middle set on point. It might be too much as a repetitive block. Don't you hate when you can't remember what you wanted to design, or one I'm fabulous at is buying fabric for a specific quilt project and the forgetting what I bought it for or worse yet finding something I like better in my stash. I'm working on sorting and marking the sizes on all my stash now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the first design! I think it's more powerful! A friend of mmine would say....it has a great rhythm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the second design (Medallion)! It's gorgeous and I'm sure you will give it an forever dazzling finish with your creative smartness... You can't go wrong!!! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since you asked so nicely :) Here is my quick, initial thought (from someone who loves HSTs): I love the first one best because the HSTs look like HSTs..with the thought of possibly using 4 of the purple HSTs in the very center? It really is a fun and eye catching combo of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely like the morning star version better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the second option! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The 2nd one gets my vote - although they are both nice

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Color way! I like the HST challenges.
    1. Modern
    2. Traditional
    3. Fun

    I say #3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the third one. I love your fabric choices, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You clearly know so much about the subject, you’ve covered so many bases.
    Great stuff from this part of the internet. Again, thank you for this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!