Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Gemstone Beginnings : :

Today's my Birthday, hooray! But I wanted to pop in quickly and share what I started yesterday! I've had this idea to make improvisational gemstone quilt blocks for so long now. Sketching out various diamond and gemstone shapes has become habit for me whenever I sit down with a pen and paper. When these Cultivate fabrics recently arrived, even after I shared yesterday morning's post, I didn't think these prints were the right match to my gemstones quilt idea.

Cultivate by Bonnie Christine

Then yesterday afternoon I took another look, and noticed the inconspicuous diamond shapes within these two Cultivate Seed Packet geometric prints. I was inspired to try!

Seed Packet Geometrics

The first block came together a bit slow. I was improvising, composing my block without any pattern or prepared cut pieces of fabric. When I first dreamed up this idea, I was planning to happily accept a bit of wonkiness, unmatched seams, etc... But as I worked on my first block I was being a bit too careful for me to not lose interest before making enough blocks to finish as a quilt.

Improv Gemstone block No. 1! ✨πŸ’Ž #gemstonesquilt

The next two came together in the same amount of time it took me to make the first. They're certainly more wonky than my first try, but I love how they turned out! I especially love how the three look together!

These #gemstonesquilt blocks are so addictive! Today's my 34th Bday, it's going to be a busy, special day, but not too busy that I can't squeeze in a few more of these! πŸ’ŽπŸ’ŽπŸ’Ž #CultivateFabric #improv

The three 10" square blocks sewn together, with a long narrow strip added to both the top and bottom, finish at just the right size to turn into a new pillow in my new favorite 14" x 28" size. I'm considering it for just these three, there will surely be many more gemstones in my future! Hmn, what do you think?

♡ Maureen

44 comments:

  1. I think they are adorable! They would make a cute pillow for a wedding present! Thanks for sharing your idea! May I be the first to wish you 🎼 HaPpY BiRtHdAy 🎢🎢🎢!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a fantastic idea!! Or even a Bridal Shower gift! :) Thank you for the Birthday wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The blocks look so great together and what a cute idea for a pillow. Have a wonderful birthday, Maureen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a fantastic Birthday! I love these. Are they basically paperpieced or you just figured the size of the pieces as you went! I see a pattern coming!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE them! Beautiful fabric and the wonkiness just adds to them- what in nature is perfectly symmetrical anyway? Hope you have a wonderful birthday full of family and fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! Did you paper piece these? And a very happy birthday to you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! And I think they look great! Truth time, I wasn't that interested in your idea of gem shapes until I saw your first block. Sold! They look terrific! And here's to you having a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Maureen! Hope you have a wonderfully blessed day!
    I love your "gem stones"!
    Debby E
    samtaylorcjsmimi at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Maureen! Wishing you the best of days ~

    Loving the gemstone blocks ~ are you going to do a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would buy one!!!!! I am a gemstone nut so this would be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! these are so cute

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a lovely day! Your blocks are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday!!!! Your blocks are lovely. Have a wonderful day!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! mine was Friday. I love these...how soon will you have a tut?! I'm thinking my grandkids' birthstones would be adorable. No rush...really. One is still on the way.
    Wow. Love this (and all your stuff).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best Wishes for a beautiful Birthday and a wonderful, happy & healthy year to come!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happiest of birthday wishes to you! Love the diamond blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute gemstones!! A bunch of these would make a sweet quilt to celebrate a new engagement. Have a super day today and don't forget to give yourself a treat or two!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy birthday, hope it is special
    your blocks are very pretty. I love the scrappy look they give

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday Maureen! I hope it's been a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you had an amazing and fabulous birthday.These are yummiest!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy birthday to you. I love your gemstones.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Birthday to you! Love your idea and execution of the gemstones.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day!
    Love your gemstone blocks, too. They look so fun!
    Sandy A

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday Maureen!! Love your gemstones and enjoyed hearing how they came to be.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday! Love your gemstones!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday, Maureen! Your year is off to a wonderfully creative start, as it should be--what a great way to set the tone for the year. Yay, you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy belated birthday, hope you had an awesome day.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday! Your gemstones are wonderful! Look forward to seeing some more.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy belated Birthday, you're gemstones are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy belated bday! I am loving the diamond look.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loving the gemstones, well done. Belated happy birthday xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loving the gemstones, well done. Belated happy birthday xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. It was a wonderful chance to visit this kind of site and I am happy to know. thank you so much for giving us a chance to have this opportunity! I will be back soon for updates.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just wish to give you an enormous thumbs up for the best information you’ve right here on this post and thanks for your efforts. Visit for
    seo service in delhi

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great Content & Thanks For Sharing With oflox. Do You Want To Know How To Earn Money From Helo App

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!