Wednesday, June 3, 2015

A Chevron Table Runner : :

This week is my stop on my friend Heidi Staples' tour for her brand new book, Sew Organized for the Busy Girl! Heidi's book is a wonderful how-to for fitting sewing into our busy lifestyles, including practical tips that will help you stay organized and excited about finding the "you" time we all need to live happy, creative lives! This book includes 23 beautiful projects, ranging from handcrafted quilts to home decor, children's gifts, and functional storage pieces. Sew Organized includes an arsenal of time-saving tips and easy-to-implement advice, as well, you'll even find a tip from me within it's pages!

Full of tips & advice!

After a quick scan through of each Sew Organized project, I decided to make Heidi's Chevron Table Runner from her Chevron Table Set project. I've never made a runner before, so this was perfect!

Sew Organized for the Busy Girl Book Project Palns

I love Heidi's use of flying geese for this pattern, their one of my favorite things to make! With her clear instructions I felt comfortable adapting the measurements to better fit our dining table. Inspired by the Ombré color technique of the Runner Heidi shares in her book, I began making my large geese with fabrics in my most favorite color palette, arranging them to the same effect!

Flying Geese

Ombré Layout

I love how these colors so perfectly match the roses I bought this past weekend!

Roses to match

After adding my border fabrics and attaching my runner backing by stitching in the ditch with yellow Aurifil, I finished with my Folk Plaid binding. I love how this shade of denim blue coordinates so well with these pretty color!

Folk Plaid Binding

Runner Binding

Runner - Finished!

Once my Chevron Table Runner was finished I first tried it out on our dining table. The finished 12" x 80" size that I made works perfectly! I decided right away to make another, this time using the exact measurements shared in the book, to have on our kitchen island!

On my Table

Next I moved the runner to our mantel and I love it just as much!

On the Mantle

On the Mantle

Looks like I'll be making two more!

Thank you so much stopping by today! I hope my project inspires you to check out Heidi's lovely book! Congratulations, Heidi, thank you for inspiring me and giving me this chance to try something new!

♡ Maureen

19 comments:

  1. Very beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this narrow style; it's just perfect. Thanks so much for sharing. I'll be checking out her book

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the streamline narrowness of the runner. Out of the way of sloppy eaters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I love those big flying geese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could certainly use some table runners in several places around my home and the book sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely runner - would look good anywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!! What a lovely splash of color. Great binding, too :-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great method to sew Chevron pattern. I'd just sewn a Chevron baby quilt by sewing 2.5 inches strips together then cut at 60 degree angle. I don't like this method as there are bias edges. The next time I sew Chevron pattern I will do it using Flying Geese method, like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this method for chevrons! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maureen, you did a beautiful job on your first runner.......flying geese are challenging for me, you have 'em mastered!
    Love the Wild and Free prints of course:) This has been a fun blog hop and I'ms ure you agree:)
    bluestarof2(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maureen, I loved your runner so much that I went out and bought Heidi's new book! I would like to make my runner wider like you did. Would you mind sharing the dimensions of your flying geese pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gaming world where everyone entertained with games like Run 3 unblocked or Run 4 unblocked or Run unblocked . The adventure racing game as Car Racing Games or game that a lot of people like the Super Mario Unblocked or Donkey Kong Unblocked is also very attractive. Have fun!
    --------------------

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!