Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Janome Skyline S5 : :

I’ve been using the new Janome Skyline S5 for the last few weeks and I'm here today to share with you all that absolutely love it! Right out of the box I noticed that it has many of the same features I've grown to love and use daily on my regular more expensive home machine, the Horizon MC15000. Both include an extensive catalog of built-in stitches, a feature I often take advantage of. I love getting creative with decorative stitches and with the Skyline S5 you can, too!

Wild & Free Inspired

Embroidered Luminous Field Pillow

Wild and Free feather pillow

A few more of my favorite Skyline features include the start/stop button, an automatic thread cutter, easy set bobbin, speed control slider, wonderful lighting, and the Janome precision you get with each stitch!

Herringbone QAYG finish!

While I really love my current Janome, I found that this machine is equally sturdy & powerful and really does offer everything I use most in my day to day sewing. Plus it's nice and compact and pretty!

Janome New!

Over the weeks I enjoyed using the Skyline to make dozens of my birthday crowns and for piecing HST's for my current quilt wip. I made my niece a Christmas stocking and best of all taught my friend how to make her very first quilt!

Crown Making!

A Stocking for Grace

Using the Skyline to make a quilt was the biggest test for me! Since I've been pretty spoiled these past couple of years using both a Horizon MC12000 and now the MC15000, I was excited to see if my friend would appreciate the Skyline when compared to her current at home machine. It ended up being such a treat for her! The Skyline's spacious bed and throat space made her first try at quilting easy. Having the extra room made such a difference for my friend who's use to a much smaller space. The Skyline's extra lighting made for a much brighter work area, too, and we both love that!

Janome Skyline

Cynthia Sews!

Janome + Herringbone QAYG

Winged Herringbone QAYG

In the end she made a beautiful, first quilt! And hooray, I think she's hooked and I owe much of that to the experience and quality that comes from sewing with the Janome Skyline S5!

I want to thank Janome for giving me the opportunity to try out this new machine, I hate to have to send it back! And I also want to thank them for producing such high-quality machines! Oh how I wish I would have had a Skyline when I was first starting out!

Thanks for stopping by today! ♡ Maureen 

23 comments:

  1. Looks like a great machine, glad to see you both had a good time using it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! Was it really that easy to produce consistent fancy stitches? I have a Janome too; but, I find that I have difficulty producing nice even fancy stitching with the machine and it's frustrating for this novice quilter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee Ann! For me getting my my fancy stitches consistent took more practice than anything. Before I add stitches to any project, I do a line or two on a practice piece of fabric on top of whatever I'll be using as my stabilizer. I do notice a difference in how my work feeds through my machine depending on my stabilizer. I prefer fusible fleece by ThermOweb for this type of work over fabric basted to batting.

      I recently showed off the very first quilt I finished with decorative stitches and pointed out how uneven my stitches looked in places. I think I've simply gotten better from continuing to try, and can see a huge improvement in my own work.

      Delete
  3. Just curious… Do you happen to know what they will do with the machine after you send it back? Would it be sold as a used machine? I wouldn't mind having one of those machines after you have used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure! My guess is they'll keep it to use for courses or the Janome On-loan and Independent Designer programs they have.

      Delete
  4. You've put it to the test making lovely items. Better lighting is something that all machine manufacturers should work on improving, nice to see they have made an effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a really great machine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really sounds like a wonderful machine !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I love Janome products too. I have an 8 year old 6600 that I don't ever want to part with. And my 8 year old has a DC1050 and Santa is bringing my 6 year old a DC1050 this year too. Those machines are excellent beginner machines that a person will not really outgrow unless they become very serious about quilting. In fact I like using my daughter's for piecing as much as my own machine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I've been wanting a Janome. What is the throat space measurement and how much is the machine ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a Janome Horizon 7700. It's hard to believe it's 4 yrs old! I am certain I will wear it our before I ever tire of it. It's an awesome machine! I also have a small Janome that I can take with me easily when we travel in our RV. It's a great little machine, too.
    I love your pillows!! The feather is my fav. Your work is totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pillow and kantha quilt i like it. find our shop : www.handicrunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you use iron on letters for your crowns? They are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your work is completely and utterly beautiful. I am currently looking at the Janome Skyline S5. It is nice to see what it can do. You looked like you were having a lot of fun. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought my Skyline about a month ago even though nothing was wrong with my 7 year old Janome MC4900. This new Janome feeds the fabric through smoother, straighter, and with a quality stitch. (Superior Feed System). The automatic thread cutter is such a great thing to have. Love the fact that the needle (throat) plates are easily changed out (no screwdriver necessary). :) This also does free motion quilting better than my older Janome. There are no complaints on this machine, and I am super happy with my purchase. I do feel however, that the foot pedal could be bigger and the case could be a hard case, rather than a canvas type case.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice post, impressive. It’s quite different from other posts. Thanks for sharing.
    Low Intensity Aircraft Warning Lights

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!