Monday, November 24, 2014

Sewing Together : :

Last week my friend Cynthia and I spent one glorious day sewing together! We've been talking about doing this for so long, as in years, about three in fact, which is exactly how long it's been since I finished my very first quilt. I can honestly say I'm glad we waited. I didn't know what I was doing for about a year and most of our sewing plans came from hoping we'd do much better if we did it together. Today, I've grown into a confident quilter who can easily explain and share with my friend how to make a beautiful quilt fast, which made the making easy and the process so much fun!

Cynthia Sews!

As for the fabric, Cynthia chose Bonnie's beautiful Winged collection for Art Gallery Fabrics!

Winged cutting

pretty Winged

For the pattern, she's using my Herringbone QAYG tutorial!

Winged QAYG

For our day of sewing, we tried out the new Janome Skyline S5 accompanied by my Janome MC 15000 at the dining room table.

Janome Sewing!

We took turns using both Janome models. What a blessing to have such amazing machines to sew on! Janome recently sent me this new Skyline S5 to use and review. So while teaching Cynthia, I was also learning and comparing the Skyline features to my current MC 15000 and the other machines I've sewn on. I plan to continue using it this week, but can already share that this machine really has every convenience I use & need for my daily sewing projects, from birthday crowns to quilt tops! I especially love how compact it is!

Janome Skyline

We spent the day sewing away, drinking coffee, and laughing constantly. What an amazing opportunity to see my friend learn this process I love so much, to watch her instantly fall in love with the prettiness of her work, which resulted in the beginnings of such a beautiful quilt!

Herringbone QAYG in Winged!

Ah, to be wrapped up in the colors of Spring this Winter, how perfect! We plan to meet one more time after this busy Thanksgiving week to finish it up, stay tuned!

♡  Maureen

33 comments:

  1. I wish I could have a private lesson with you. QAYG has been high on my bucket list ever since I've seen your Cartoon QAYG. I've got my fabrics and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine a more perfect way to spend a day: Quilting with a good friend, brightly colored beautiful fabric, quilting and lots of laughter. Life is GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilts are always beautiful... and I love this QAYG Herringbone! My question is putting the rows together. It looks like your quilt is flat ... but how do you join the rows? Also - When you QAYG... are you making a complete sandwhich or just quilting the strips to the batting & then topstitching over that to quilt the backing on? Would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! You can see the free pattern here, with lots of pictures and detailed step by step instructions -- http://www.maureencracknellhandmade.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-herringbone-quilt-tutorial.html

      If you have any questions, please let me know!

      Delete
    2. I was just coming back to tell you I checked out the tutorial!!! Just as I guessed :) This will definitely be one of the quilt tutorials I do in 2015!!! Will share w/ you when I do. Thanks for sharing w/ us!

      Delete
  5. How fun Maureen. What a special friendship you must have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect day!! Getting your Vitamin F dose with Cynthia and getting to sew all day!!! You can't beat that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always fun to "sew" with friends! Love that Herringbone tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just ordered your beautiful fabric from the FatQuarter Shop, can't wait to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was such a perfect day!! So blessed to have you in my life. Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Days spent sewing with friends are always...wonderful days!!!!
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maureen, I'm so glad you had a relaxing time w/your friend. You deserve it! And got to try out new machines...that's so cool.
    I too love the herringbone quilt and thus far have made a mini quilt w/your pattern,,fabulous tutorial..it makes me smile too when I get it sewn and then cut.
    bluestarof2@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous version of your herringbone quilt this will be!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your herringbone pattern is on my list to make! Hopefully soon :) and maybe with a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful colours! Sounds like a well deserved/needed refueling type of day. I'm so glad! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun way to spend the day with your friend :)

    Have a wonderful day, cheers, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful friendship and a beautiful day Maureen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun! I know you both enjoyed the day and the creative process!! Hope you get to do it over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of my girlfriends and I sew together once and awhile. Great fun. Your quilt will look beautiful!! Glad you got the time together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That would be nice to have a friend to so with! I think the quilt you are create I feel it's going to be beautiful. I hope I win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a lovely day you had together :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. My wild and free preorder arrived yesterday!!! The fabric is so beautiful I had to order more!!! I'm getting ready to cut into it now..,

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sewing all day with a friend sounds so lovely. Congrats on your first quilt. It’s going to be beautiful =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!