Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Calling All Quilters : :

For Boston

Just a little more than one week ago, we all watched the terrible and shocking tragedy that took place at the 117th Boston marathon. With sadness and disbelief, all we can do is take this feeling of helplessness that comes after such incomprehensible tragedy, and do our best to do good in whatever ways we can. In response to what took place that day, the Boston Modern Quilt Guild has been working on a way to help those in their community that have been directly affected by the bombing and subsequent events.

They are asking ALL quilters around the globe to send quilt blocks using the colors of the Boston Marathon - - blue, yellow, gray and white, which will be turned into quilts. As a guild they plan to make and distribute these quilts to those who would benefit from a show of support, and they need OUR help! Their hope is that these quilts can bring that sense of comfort that we know a quilt can bring!!

Here's an example stack of fabrics Natalie put together for us to use as inspiration!

Quilts for Boston Color Scheme

In Natalie's words, "All blocks should be 12½” tall x the width of your choice. That could mean 12½” x 7”, 12½” x 12½”, or anything wider, more narrow, or in between. Please machine piece your blocks in any style you would like. Please use only “quilt shop quality” 100% cotton or cotton/linen fabrics. Both print and solid fabrics are welcome. Our preference is white or light gray 100% cotton thread, but any coordinating thread of good quality will do."

Quilts for Boston Color Scheme

They ask for us to consider adding photos of the blocks we create to their flickr group. This is not required, but it will be wonderful to share the blocks as we are making them and to see what people are working on!

Quilts for Boston
Please mail all blocks and fabric donations to:

Quilts for Boston
P. O. Box 79225
Belmont, MA 02479

If you have any questions, please contact: bostonmqg@gmail.com



You can grab the button above for your own blog or website over on the BMQG website.

Let me know if you plan to join in!! And please help spread the word!! I'm off to post this on my Facebook page, if you want to share it over there for your sewing friends to see!  Maureen

28 comments:

  1. Since I live in Boston and am in the guild I plan on making several blocks. I think it is awesome that you and other bloggers are helping get the word out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING! I know there's nothing I can do, here in Kentucky, for the families who have lost loved ones besides pray. Which I've done and I hope my prayers find their way to those people to bring them comfort. But THIS... being able to contribute in such a kind way to bring these families something that can physically comfort them... it fills my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this information on behalf of our guild! I really appreciate it :) And I love that we have so many of the same fabrics in our stashes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah przecudne tkaniny! Przecudne!
    Pozdrawiam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours was the first blog I saw with this info - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wondering if anyone is doing quilts for the West, Texas families?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering the same thing and even did a search and didn't find anything. If you hear of anything, please do let me know!

      -Maureen

      Delete
    2. http://www.patchworktimes.com/category/quilts-for-west/

      They seem to be collecting mostly finished quilts, but she said she can do the quilting and binding on a few quilts.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for sharing this Stacy!!

      Delete
  7. I plan to do a block. My daughter lives in Boston and she is a runner. My heart breaks for the families of the victims and the entire city that can't help but be changed by this. God bless them and keep them "Boston Strong".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this on a Mystery Quilt I'm on on Facebook and I fully plan on sending some blocks down. I pulled from my stash already...also, I will pass this along to a couple of my gf's I quilt with regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a couple of blocks cut out and ready to assemble right now. Thanks for sharing this on your Facebook account.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this! I need to send blocks--sewing them will comfort me & the finished quilts will hopefully comfort someone there even more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have my fabrics and I am ready to make a block or two. I have not read about a deadline. Is there a deadline if I get inspired to make more later on? I would like a reply. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are asking that you send your blocks to them within a month, by May 24th, 2013.

      Delete
  12. I just checked out the Flickr Group, some beautiful blocks on there already.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to do something for the people of Boston. Thank you for sharing this information!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm hoping to be able to get a flag done in time for that collection, all great ideas

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful Idea I live in Newfoundland Canada and belong to a guild also a ladies group called Womens Institute[world wide] will speak to them and see what we can do to help.
    May God bless everyone affected by this terrible event.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just picked out my fabric.....firing up Mac (my Singer Featherweight) Monday... Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. May we send in applique blocks also. Penny

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will be joining! Been thinking how I would love to make a quilt for some of the victims. This is perfect and almost eerie I kept wanting to buy some yellow blue and grey today! Now I need to go back and put it to use!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't forget about Waco... Quilts for Waco... Here's the info I got from the woman from the Waco area quilt shop. Spread the word!!

    There were about 80 people in the nursing home (only about 5 were men and one man already died from a heart attack this week). We wanted to get a quilt to each as they are all very traumatized. Actually, make that 79 because I am making one for my own mother-in-law (it is pieced and ready to quilt this weekend). There were 47 homes completely destroyed, so those folks lost everything. It would be nice to give them larger quilts or kids quilts.

    You can forward the quilts to me and I will take them to the next Homespun Quilt Guild meeting. We will get them to the folks in West that need them. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness.

    Susan Hutyra
    3013 N. 43rd Street
    Waco, TX 76710
    254-741-1628

    sah106@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just sent an email out to our guild, Seabreeze in Exeter, NH. Hoping we will get a lot of people willing to help you out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have a guild here in 100 Mile House, BC, Canada and received your request. We have 3 blocks so far and many more have committed to make a block for next week so we hope to get some in the mail to you soon. Kodos to you for organizing this and I do hope you post some pictures of the finished work. Our hearts and prayers go out to those affected by the Marathon bombing. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!