Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tuesday Inspiration : :

Black + Orange + Halloween

Halloween Mosaic
Photos via

Halloween Table Runner

Remember our tablecloth from last week that mysteriously looked like it had been chewed upon while packed away in the garage? Well, it's come a loooong way since then. Literally. Most of the damage was done to the outer black and white check gingham border, with almost all of the adorable pumpkin appliques still in perfect condition. After a good, couple of washings, I cut each applique out and salvaged what solid black material I could and got to work.

Halloween Fabrics and Appliques

I begin piecing using those appliques, coordinating thread, my new Riley Blake Halloween Fabrics, and a very festive bundle of gorgeous orange and blacks.

Fabrics -- Orange and Black

I knew I wanted this runner to be on the large side, wide and long. I chose not to use batting because of the size. I didn't want it to look like an awkwardly shaped quilt sitting on our dinner table.

Soon I was finished and faced with my first dilemma -- how do you photograph projects this huge, in action? It's not easy!

Halloween Table Runner

These are my attempts at full shots. eek! If you notice all the marking on my table you'll understand the need for it to be this large. I have a lot of things to hide on this really old, very used table of ours!

Halloween Table Runner

Do you see why I just had to save it, aren't these appliques sweet! They really are my favorite part. Plus, the original tablecloth had been with us for many Halloweens and reminds me so much of when our boys were just little things. We had a Halloween Party (or several) every year.

Halloween Table Runner

And here you see my second dilemma. Lily hair. I've shared many times how she loves to lay upon my sewn things. Well, white long cat hair, on black fabric, on our dinner table, has me quite frazzled and annoyed and our lint rollers being refilled daily. Grrrrr!

Halloween Table Runner -- what was I thinking?

Does she pick the cute kitty pumpkin applique? Nope.

Halloween Table Runner

Quite fittingly she has chosen the little devil pumpkin applique to be her spot of choice. Of course! I am kinda, sorta wishing I would have just made a quilt now instead.  

How many days until Halloween?

Halloween Table Runner

I'm really not sure if me and this table runner will make it?! As for Lily? Yup, she's safe! Lucky for her, she does ridiculously adorable things like sleep outside my sewing room door like this.

Maybe I can convince her that she makes a much better doorstop than a centerpiece, hmn?

Lily sleeping outside my sewing room door -- ridiculous!
I plan to enter this new Halloween table runner in the Home Decor category of Celebrate Color and to make a new, matching bunting with the fabric scraps and remaining applique pieces.

How about you? Are you doing any Halloween sewing these days?

15 comments:

  1. The only Halloween project in the works over here is Gus's costume, which I need to get moving on! I hope to post pics of it when it's done. The runner looks great (and so does your house! Love the wood doors.) and it was a great way to salvage the table cloth. Too bad it can't stay out all year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great runner! And I love that spider cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable table runner! And kitty, of course. ^.^

    I'm working on a zombie drawing for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the door stop. The table runner is very cute, glad you could save it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your HOUSE looks fabulous! Must be a beautiful old Victorian? Whatever the style, I love it! And the table runner is such fun! My cat, Lacey, loves to jump up on my table runners/toppers, also, but she's not angora, thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your runner is so cute- love the little devil pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how your runner came out and it looks beautiful on your table.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! The doorstop picture is SO familiar. ;)

    I love the mehowl block, especially!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great save Maureen! I like the size of it. I made my granddaughter a halloween pillowcase for her day care pillow. That's the extent of my halloween sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No halloween sewing because we don´t celebrate it.I`m from Spain.

    Your runner is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the little embroidered surprises in the table runner! Too cute!

    I'm doing more basic table runners and lots of reusable fabric treat bags.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it all! Your table runner is awesome, and your dining room is beautiful! Adorable kitty doorstop!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I love it. Glad you could save it. One year my Mom pulled the Christmas stockings her Grandma had made for us out of storage and they'd been eaten to the point they couldn't be saved. It was very sad. That year we all got new crocheted ones from my great-grandma instead. I think my Mom still wishes for the old ones though...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!