Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fabric Flowers : :

After many months of making excusing and complaining about my current "I don't have enough time for that" situation, I finally had an epiphany... It was in the midst of a rare moment when my boys were at school, my daughter was napping, and I was completely alone. So, what does one choose to do... The possibilities could be endless and yet instead, I catch myself staring at photos of complete strangers (well, friends of friends) on Facebook! Gah!! Thankfully, sanity stepped in immediately and after thinking to myself "you ARE crazy!" I decided that the only remedy was to redirect myself away from this weird path I was headed down and to quickly find myself a hobby. 

I decided it was time to revisit two of my favorite pass times that I unintentionally abandoned when I learned and became completely obsessed with motherhood and knitting -- reading and sewing.



So, I decided to go all in and order a BOOK about SEWING, Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist and I am loving it! I haven't gotten out my sewing machine just yet. I have read through the wonderful projects and had begun to start polishing up on some of my hand sewing techniques, when I skimmed back through the book and found "YO -YO's." After having just made several fabric flowers for my mini totes, I had to give this method of making fabric flowers a try.


I ended up spending every "hands free" second of my weekend making fabric flowers. And, I think I am ready to move on the heavy stuff. This time it's going to be the very, very cool book by Diane Gilleland, Kanzashi in Bloom: 20 Simple Fold-and-Sew Projects to Wear and Give.


I plan on ordering it sometime next week and I'll be sure to let you know how it is. If anyone can recommend any other sewing/craft books, I'd love to check them out. Just leave me a comment...

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow yes I so know what you mean.

    Though I sit around "researching" and I get all depressive b/c I'm not where someone else is who is my age or younger.

    It is stupid I know but sometimes I can't help it ^.^

    My boyfriend is really trying to help me with it all...so basically I'm getting there

    Just need more confidence in what I'm doing and mainly stop measuring myself up to other and be happy with where I am, and where I'm going :)

    *sorry about the life story :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's important is to do what makes you happy! Try not to worry so much about anyone other than yourself and the ones you love.

    One of my favorite quotes, that my wonderful sister Catherine passed to me is : :

    The lure of the distant and the difficult is deceptive. The great opportunity is where you are. Do not despise your own place and hour. Every place is under the stars, every place is the center of the world - John Burroughs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I love these fabric flowers! Very lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete