Monday, August 18, 2014

A Feather Sketch Stitch : :

Feather Sketch & 
Aurifil When it comes to sewing, these days it's pretty impossible for me to think of anything other than project ideas for my fabric collection Wild & Free. I've shared the digital swatches and still plan to share a little back story on the inspiration and reason for each print sometime soon, but the true testament will come when I have my fabrics in hand and I can begin to sew with them! This waiting is a little brutal, and so, last night when I sat at my sewing machine hoping to make something to share here this morning, I decided to begin creating the project ideas that are within my power, so when the fabrics arrive at my doorstep I can dive right in!

Sketch Stitching or thread sketching is something I truly love to do, but rarely make the time for. After having spent so much time drawing the sketches that became Wild & Free throughout these past several weeks, I'm certain now that drawing nourishes me in a completely different way than sewing does. Combining them in this way creates a feeling so good that I've decided to give just an hour a day to this type of work solely. It's too beneficial for me to continue ignoring my need for it, and after sharing just a quick feather thread sketch on my Instagram last night I felt so encouraged that this is something I truly should be doing and sharing here.

Feather thread sketch beginnings.

This sketch began with a rectangle piece of Art Gallery Fabrics Pure Element in Sweet Mint quilted to a scrap piece of StitchnSew fleece by Therm O Web. Next I pulled from my box set of colorful 50wt and my jar O' Aurifil a thread color story that matches Wild & Free, and I began to freely sketch stitch a simple feather.

Aurifil Love!

Aurifil jar -- better than candy!

WIld & Free Aurifil color story

Just as the wildflowers that are illustrated in Wild & Free, feathers are a common and meaningful memento of my days spent exploring with my children. To me the feather has multiple meanings, but mostly represents beauty, lightness, and being free in life. And although there aren't feather designs found in any of the prints that make up my small collection, I do hope to share those other meaningful symbols that won't be found in the prints, in the projects I create for Wild & Free.

Feather Sketch Stitch

Once the outline of my feather was sketched in Navy, I used several spools of Aurifil to add in color and texture, combined with some of the beautiful decorative stitches my Janome offers. I really love the end result!

Feather Stitches

I'll be saving this to either finish as a pillow once Wild & Free arrives or it might end up as part of a wall display idea I've been dreaming up for my Quilt Market booth!

Happy Monday & happy stitching, friends!

Maureen

39 comments:

  1. Such talent! AMAZing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do such amazing work! I love this feather and wish that I could create like you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing - you are a very talented lady! Thread colours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can't wait to finish up today's orders to work on my next one. I really appreciate the comment! XX

      Delete
  4. Wow that's beautiful. It's amazing how such strong thread colours become so perfectly subtle in the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, I think the sweet mint background really mellows it all out. I do hope the patchwork and/or binding I use to frame this piece will make the colors pop just a little bit more. :)

      Delete
  5. Really beautiful work. Love the stitching detail, it's very fine. The colours work well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you did here, it is so pretty, especially when you add the other colors and stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your stitch drawing! You really make feathers all your own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun!!! Thanks for taking us through the steps you used to create this awesome feather! I was trying to figure out how to replicate this with my longarm...may need to stick to my Janome! Looking forward to seeing your fabric line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm actually hoping for the opportunity to try to longarm! I've never tried it before and more and more have been wondering if I might be able to draw like this allover my finished quilts. I'm not sure how it would work, but if it's possible, I think it could be really fun!

      Delete
  9. I want to learn how to do this. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really beautiful Maureen! I love that you used the decorative stitches too and what gorgeous thread colours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That feather is gorgeous! Can't wait to see your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely beautiful!! You are very artistic and talented. I would love to do something this pretty some day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I scrolled through my feed this caught my eye and I just wanted to tell you what a beautiful piece it is. Definitely keep it up - it is beautiful and unique

    ReplyDelete
  14. At first glance thought this was hand embroidery I guess one could do that It's lovely

    ReplyDelete
  15. So gorgeous! I already asked my favorite shop if I can preorder your collection:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just delightful. And yes, do keep thread sketching! It's unique and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to see the finished project. Looking forward to the new fabric line!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so gorgeous! Did you do it all free hand?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is completely stunning, Maureen!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your stitch sketches are always amazing, but this one is made even more incredible by the splashes of colour. You are the queen of stitch sketching and have a great sense of colour. I think this would be a great area for you to focus on, especially if it makes your heart soar.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow that feather is incredible,I am in awe of all that you do, you are amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maureen Your creation is wonderful. You are very talented. Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Would you ever consider offering your train pattern for sale? My youngest grandson has his great grandfather's name for his middle name. My father-in-law was an engineer (not railroad). His hobby was model railroad's. He had a certification as a model railroad designer and builder. I think my daughter would be thrilled if I made a wall hanging of a little train for Jaxon for his room to honor his grandfather. Since he is three, I would like a pattern that is rather simplistic. Thanks for any consideration. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous work, Maureen! Your sketching would make great embroidery patterns, as well. I'm amazed by the control and tidiness of all your stitching...

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's beautiful! Waiting is the hardest part! Tried my first spool of Aurofil thread recently and am so impressed with how smoothly it runs through my machine and looks awesome on my fabric. Can't wait to see your new collection.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!