Today's tutorial is for a fun and sweet Valentine's Day pillow cover -- A Quilted Heart Throw Pillow. Using several cuts of my very favorite red and pink fabrics, cherry red wool blend felt, and little hand stitching, I created this pillow for a fast and cute V-day decoration!
What you'll need : :
- 1 - Pillow Insert measuring 12" x 12"
- 9 - pieces of quilting weight fabric measuring 2" x 13"
- 1 - piece of batting (I use a bamboo/wool blend) measuring 14" x 14"
- 1 - piece of bright red wool blend felt measuring 12.5" x 12.5"
- 2 - 9" x 12.5" pieces of fabric for the back of the pillow (I used a white and red polka dot)
- Fabric pen
- Sewing pins
- Sharp scissors and/or a rotary cutter/mat set
- thread and embroidery floss/baker's twine
Creating the Quilted Pillow Top : :
1. Cut 9 strips of fabric measuring 2" x 13" 2. Piece together using a 1/4" seam allowance 3. Use iron to press seams open
4. Trim pieced together fabrics to measure a 12.5" square 5. Using pins, baste the pieced together fabrics (pillow top) to the piece of batting
6. Use coordinating thread to add quilting stitches to the pillow top and batting layers 7. Once finished, remove pins and trim away excess batting
8. Using a fabric pen, draw a heart on the wool blend felt large enough to show off the quilted fabrics 9. Cutting along the outside of the drawn heart, cut felt away to show the heart 10. Pin felt heart piece to quilted fabric layer and sew around the heart leaving a 1/4" seam, removing pins as you go
11. Use embroidery floss or a red and white baker's twine to hand sew a running stitch around the heart
Your pillow top is completely finished! Now, for instructions on finishing the envelope style back, please see my Quilted Stripes Pillow Tutorial here. The directions needed can be found in the "Sewing Pillow Together" section of that tutorial.
Insert the pillow form and Voila! You're done!
I had a lot of fun making this pillow, I hope you do too!