Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fabric Pompom Tutorial : :

First, let's have a look at my new Anthropologie placemats shall we?! Perfectly named after Quilting Circles, each has lovely runs of embroidery floss that resemble hand-quilted stitches, applique details, and these fun fabric pompoms dangling from the edges and corners -- which is what this post is all about! 

Anthropologie Inspiration -- sewing details
Anthropologie Inspiration -- sewing details
Anthropologie Inspiration -- sewing details

Do you like them? I love them so much I decided that my Fabric Lover's Apron needed an upgrade! If you'd like to try out this entire project for yourself you can find my apron tutorial here, or you can add this detail to any pillows, pillowcases, blankets, quilts, placemats, napkins, tablecloths/runners, clothing, you name it!

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Apron Upgrade

What you'll need : :
  • Scrap fabric pieces measuring at least 2"x 2" each
  • Purchased Pompoms
  • Pearl Cotton or DMC embroidery floss
  • Sharp scissors and an embroidery needle 
  • Note * Click on any of my images for a larger picture
Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Supplies

Making the Fabric Pompoms : :

1. Place the pompom in the center of the fabric scrap 2. Fold the edges of the fabric up around the pompom 3. Wrap the floss around the fabric right above the pompom 4. Knot thread ends together well, trim, and trim the fabric ends even

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- 1 Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- 2
Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- 3 Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- 4

Continue making your Fabric Pompoms until you have the amount you need.

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Pom Poms!!!

Fabric Pompoms Details : : 

I'm adding mine to my Fabric Lover's Apron, any item will use these same instructions.

1. Layout your design 2. Place the Fabric Pompom onto the item 3. Using a needle threaded with floss and knotted at one end, insert the needle at one side of the pompom pulling up through the back of the fabric item 4. Pull thread all the way through until it catches the knot 5. Insert the needle on the other side of the pompom, pulling back though the fabric so the floss is holding the pompom tightly in place 6. Knot well, close to the fabric, and trim away excess floss

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Apron Upgrade Layout Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Apron Upgrade 1 Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Apron Upgrade 2 Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Apron Upgrade 3 Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Apron Upgrade 4 Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Apron Upgrade 5

Continue until all of your Fabric Pompoms are attached.

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Apron Upgrade Finished!!

Voila! You're finished! 
 
Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Apron Upgrade Finished!!

Variation ideas : : You can reverse how you attach them so only the Fabric Pompom ball is showing for a less funky look. You can add them to a pillow this way or attach these just as you would purchased pompom fringe. Here is an example of that on a pillow of mine from Pier1.

Fabric Pom Pom Tutorial -- Pillow example

I hope you enjoy this tutorial!!! This Fabric Pompom detail is something I'll certainly be adding to the edges of many of my own handmades!

36 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial! I can see so many applications for these and they are so simple...my kind of project! Can't wait to give it a go!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! These would be great to brighten up so many projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute! Following you from The Blog Team!
    http://www.releasemecreate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun way to give something a fun and funky flair! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, your trim is so sweet and very cheerful. They look so much prettier than the simple fuzzy ball fringe that are buried inside of them (acting as a filler). It's really a clever way to end up with a nice round shape ( which is sometimes hard to do with just a small wad of polyfill).
    I adore your bright and happy choice of fabrics.

    ps - I had a heck of a time trying to get to your blog. Every time I’d click on your link blogger kept telling me that your profile was not available and that it needed to be activated or turned on (or something to that affect). I had to go do an internet search for “Maureen Cracknell Handmade” to finally get here. Blogger can be a real booger at times. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute!! Anthropologie is truly the best inspiration!

    Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever and cute! Love these pompoms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!! Thanks for sharing how to make these. I have some old pom pom fringe that I saved but I don't think I'll use them, so I could cut off each pom pom and remake them into something beautiful.

    Thanks for checking out my tutorial today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a super cute idea! Wouldn't this be fun on the edges of a ruffled twirly skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Almost Precious -- thanks! I'll have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are so cute. You can do so many different things with them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! You could use fishing sinkers (thingys) and use them as decorative weights for picnic table cloths!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! I love it...many thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a lot of fun! I love the ones that are sewn in with only the little bobble bit visible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are making the hoarder in me squeal and say, "See! I TOLD you those little scraps of fabric were good for something!"

    I hate it when she's right...

    ;)
    Honey
    http://pinterest.com/mondorfment/

    ReplyDelete
  16. You make it look so easy! What a cute, unusual embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome tutorial, thanks! Those pom pom garlands are sooooo expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These would be perfect to fill with sand or a stone to weigh down a table cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These pom pom are so cute! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww, they're so cute! I've never seen any like them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I got a couple of those place mats too. I am fascinated by the fabrics they use, and ESPECIALLY those pom poms. Mine are on my design wall now to provide all kinds of creative inspiration! Those poms can go on just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I saw those Anthro placemats on someone's blog last year - and I totally fell in love with them! I wish I had some. I can see that perhaps I should try to just make some myself with all the spare time I have (Ahem! Cough cough). :) Love your tutorial. I am seriously thinking about giving it a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all of the different variations you are sharing, really great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love these Maureen and YEAH!!!! for you : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE THIS !!!!!! What a GREAT idea !! VERY CUTE !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a fun idea! these pom poms are so appealing. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. great tutorial and such a versatile little embellishment!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your fresh approach, just delightful and your darlings look lovely in their crowns. jil: weftandwarp(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Totally adorable, and I love all your fabrics mixed together!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Maureen, You have the most wonderful blog. I'll be back often. I'm in awe of your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can't believe I found this tutorial! I was just looking at these at Anthro the other day! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you're a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!