Thursday, September 28, 2017

Sewing Social : :

Sharing my great love for sewing with others in real life and building a local sewing community is something I have dreamed about since I began sewing several years ago. So when Sunday afternoon I packed up my sewing essentials and headed to my sister's cabin for our first sewing social, it was too wonderful not to share!

Cabin Sewing

For this first get together we kept it simple, just Biz, Bri, and myself making my newest obsession -- zipper pouches! Both Biz and Bri are beginner sewists, so I decided to teach them how to make a useful make-up bag using the quilt as you go method that I teach on Craftsy and use so often. Along with my Janome and the necessary sewing supplies, I brought along several of my recently made zipper pouches to show several creative examples and the girls chose which style they wanted to make.

Cabin Sewing 2

Zipper Pouches and Margaritas

We decided on a herringbone pieced front and a simple stacked stripe for the reverse side, then began the fun part of choosing fabrics from my traveling stash!

Traveling Stash

Biz is a huge April Rhodes fan, so I made sure to bring along my bundle of Arizona after just for her. I love the combination of fabrics she chose, mixing prints from Fleet & Flourish, Nightfall, Soulful and Arizona After!

For Zipper Pouch Sewing

Soon the machines were buzzing and my sister's cabin was filled with making, laughter and heartfelt conversation. It was so special! I really enjoyed getting to guide a sewing project, step by step, and watching both Biz and Bri create something beautiful and useful to take home. I selfishly hope they are hooked so we can do this again and again!

Girls Sewing 1

Being a novice teacher, I completely forgot to take photos of the girls with their finished projects at the end of the night, but I did snag my sister's finished make up bag to snap a few photos to share today. Isn't it pretty?

Biz's Zipper Pouch

Biz's Zipper Pouch

Biz's Zipper Pouch

Now I have a little news to share! Several months back I mentioned that I had been busy working hard at fixing up a space on main street in my town to rent as a studio space for my work and to have a place to teach others how to sew. Well, that turned into quite the sad and stressful debacle, and a BIG learning lesson for me. When it didn't work out I had to cut loose that dream for a little while. Well, an opportunity to try again just presented itself on Monday and it feels right and necessary, as I've completely outgrown my studio space at home, to give this another try. Having a well equipped workspace for myself and one that I can educate, support, and inspire those who are interested in sharing our love of fabric and sewing would be such a dream come true. Pretty please say a little prayer and send some positive vibes my way that this time it works out!

Tomorrow I'll have a special Giveaway to share, so be sure to stop back! xo Maureen

15 comments:

  1. Good luck! I'll say a prayer, for you and your endeavor. I'm so envious sewing, sisters and in a cabin. I would think I'd died and gone to heaven! WOW! Sounds like a fantastic time for everyone. I hope your studio works out this time. I seems to me that fabric, sewing and quilting shops are leaving my area Long Island ,New York). I wish there was more for creative people like us. At this point I utilize the internet more and more. As a child my grandparents and my mother sewed even my aunts did and there was so much more available to them, even before the internet. I wish you well, Toni Anne ;->

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best of luck with your studio, wish I could join, but living so far away [South Africa ], it is just wishful thinking!! Even here it seems as if nobody are interested in sewing anymore, and it makes me so sad.
    Kindest regards, Magda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your new endeavor - prayers! You can do it, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a tutorial for this? Thx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pouch you made and love the fabric also Maureen! Good job Dear! 👍🏻😘

    ReplyDelete
  6. Positive vibes sent! May you find your ideal spot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck Maureen. You are so talented it would be wonderful to have a studio where you can continue to express your own creativity and share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maureen, sending you prayers and best wishes from Dublin, Ireland. I have your Craftsy class and absolutely love it as well as your fabrics. You are an excellent teacher and I'd love to join your studio but you're just a tad too far away!! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your studio is gorgeous, like your fabric designs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, so sweet. I wish I could be part of that group.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so wonderful! Sending good vibes!!! I would travel to take a class with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you so much luck in getting your studio space up and running! I am in the process of doing the same thing in my town and it can be stressful, but the thought of bringing people together for the joy of making is going to make it all worth it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice information, many thanks to the author. It is incomprehensible to me now, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Thanks again and good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonjour, bravo pour votre site, pour moi qui débute il m'est utile. Continue comme cela il est très clair. Bon courage
    voyance par mail

    ReplyDelete

  15. time warner cable login
    Very good, I think I found the knowledge I needed. I will see and refer some information in your post. thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!