Monday, September 19, 2016

A Nightland Quilt Top : :

Follow the Stars Quilt Top

I had every intention of making four more Nightfall & Heartland fabric star blocks before finishing up this Nightland quilt top. I was sure I'd need additional yellow-heavy blocks to create a balanced, harmonious quilt design. When compared with the sweeter, peachy-pink, aqua, and blue star blocks, the bright yellows really popped, overshadowing the softer colors that seemed to fade away. For a minute I even questioned if the blocks I had already finished could even work together. Before deciding what might bring it altogether and which new color to pair with the yellows, I placed the dozen finished stars I had onto the floor to begin playing with layout options. The large 18.5" unfinished blocks quickly filled up the entire working floor space of my sewing room, the familiar signal to me that this work in progress is plenty big enough - time to stop!

Heartland & Nightfall

Pretty Stars!

Peach & Aqua Stars!

Yellow & Blue Stars!

After moving blocks around for a bit, I decided a sashing was the perfect remedy to unify the mixture of blocks, keeping the flashy yellows at the four corners, while opting for a new twist on a traditional cornerstone -- friendship stars!

Friendship Star Cornerstones

This idea was so perfect in keeping with the star theme of this quilt design!

Follow the Stars Quilt  Top

With the added 2.5 sashing and friendship stars, combined with the dozen large star blocks, this pieced together quilt top measures 60" x 80", a wonderful throw size! For picture taking sake alone, I'm perfectly pleased with deciding to modify my original plan for this quilt. I'm sure my husband/quilt holder thanks me, as well!

Follow the Stars Quilt Top

This September moody morning, with the rising fog was the perfect, dreamy setting for this star filled quilt design! The best Monday morning I've had in a while!

Wishing you all a wonderful start to the week! ♡ Maureen  


  1. This quilt is certainly cuddle worthy. I love the color play. Peaches and greens were part of my home decor for years. Yellows and blues are classic. Together they make a beautiful quilt.

    tushay3 (at) yahoo (dot) com

  2. Love this quilt & your fabric lines. Am just collecting for your diamond weave quilt, using some Nightfall with stash of mine. Can't wait to get started as I need a "fall feeling" project. Thanks for your inspiration!

  3. Absolutely gorgeous quilt! I so love to come and see what you have done! Thank you for sharing and have a fantastic creative day!

  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  5. This quilt is absolutely gorgeous! In searching for the pattern, I found a free Follow the Stars pattern from Art Gallery that you blogged about Dec. 9, 2014. Surely this is not the same quilt. I feel a bit confused.

    1. I completely forget about that quilt! Thanks for reminding me! I've changed the name of this one to Nightland Quilt to avoid additional confusion and I have not released a pattern for this one yet.

    2. Sweet! I can't wait to get this pattern!

  6. I have quilted with only Civil War reproductions for 16 years but saw your posts when suggested by Bloglovin and had a lightbulb moment. Those Nightfall fabrics, that's what I want to see on my bed! Made a trip to Portland OR and found about half of them and ordered the rest and they're even more beautiful in person. Your goodies have started me in a new direction, thanks!


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!