Tuesday, August 11, 2015

A Summer Harlequin Quilt Top : :

A Summer Harlequin Quilt Top in Bound

It must have been a great Summer for harvesting and baling hay. Large round hay bales are scattered across nearly every field around, it's so beautiful! I couldn't let such a perfect quilt photo shoot opportunity pass me by. So, Sunday night, after a busy weekend away, I finished up a new quilt top to take to the fields. These Bound fabric colors & prints are such a perfect pairing to the landscape and warmth of these Summer days!

A Summer Harlequin Quilt Top in Bound

A Summer Harlequin Quilt Top in Bound

My quilt pattern is just a combination of Windmill and Four-patch blocks turned on point. Since I've been wanting to experiment with traditional quilt block patterns and quilt-as-you-go using batting as my foundation, I took the time to do so with these blocks. It worked perfectly!

Bound

A Summer Harlequin Quilt Top in Bound

To add a little twist to my simple patchwork plan, I added in a mix of solids to form a band of stacked diamonds down the center of my quilt. Inspiring this quilts' new name, my Summer Harlequin Quilt!

A Summer Harlequin Quilt Top in Bound

I haven't yet decided on how I'm going to quilt finish this one, but I'm leaning towards hand quilting using Aurifil's new AuriFloss at the moment. I have some time to think it over, since I turned my one and only quilting hoop into a dream catcher last year, HA!

A Summer Harlequin Quilt Top in Bound

I'd love to hear your ideas, if you care to share?

I wish you all a beautiful day! ♡ Maureen

44 comments:

  1. Stunning as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! How did your quilt holder get on top of that bale? Not sure how I would go about that.

    I'm not great at quilting ideas- I usually straight line it. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just the quilt-maker and photographer. My husband is the quilt holder and lucky for me, he's in great shape and is always willing to go along with my crazy photography ideas! ;)

      Delete
  3. When doing quilt as you go, how large is your seam when sewing it all together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep a 1/4" seam allowance throughout, These bocks are made up of both 6.5" patches and HST units to form 12.5" blocks. I was just experimenting, but since it's obvious the batting is already attached to my quilt top, I thought I'd share that it was successful. I'd love to share tutorial for both blocks IF I ever find the time!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, Maureen! I love those warm colors against the green backdrop -- just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, gorgeous quilt and gorgeous backdrop for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt Maureen - this is really stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I'm in love! Would love a tutorial when you have time. Thanks for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you did the solid diamonds down the centre, it looks great! Aurifloss is embroidery thread, which isn't twisted the same way as other thread, so I wouldn't use it for quilting as it won't withstand use - it would be ok for a decorative quilt. I highly recommend the 12wt Aurifil for hand quilting though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to hear how you combined the quilt as you go with the batting as foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous quilt! I love the colors and that the pattern is a simple one, yet so striking. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Просто и красиво! Фон фотосъемки замечательный.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quilt and would love to have a tutorial too...when you have time, of course. The quilt is stunning for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! The pictures are amazing as well! I'd love to hear how you do the quilt as you go technique too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! The pictures are amazing as well! I'd love to hear how you do the quilt as you go technique too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These photos are some of my favorites so far! Really great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful color combination and photography.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The next time someone tells you that, run. Orthodox Jews in the world today are no more likely to be ethical and upstanding in business than pagan black plumbers who snort coke and swing on weekends.

    http://www.lukeford.net/

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just gorgeous!!! I want to make one now too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice. I just bought a quilt book on qayg. I have a lot of batting scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is beautiful, I love your designs. I feel like I can do this. The make up of the blocks is simple with such impact! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!