Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Pretty Start : :

Yesterday completely flew by and so did my Emmy Grace sewing time, therefor I don't have as much to share as I had hoped today, but it's such a pretty start! Emmy Grace is a collection of twenty prints, but for this quilt pattern I need just sixteen to create my blocks. First I chose those and then divided them into piles of four by color. Pink, grey, aqua, and yellow -- such a great combination!

Finally cutting into the beautiful Emmy Grace collection!

For quilts with a repetitive block pattern I like to do all of my cutting right away using a common cutting method referred to as "stack and whack." To stack and whack is to simply cut multiple layers of fabric, stacked in a single pile, simultaneously, rather than cutting one single fabric at a time. For this quilt I layered my four cuts of fabric by color and had no problem cutting them all at once with accuracy. It makes the cutting easy, quick & fun!

Stack and Whack!

I was only able to finish piecing my grey blocks yesterday, but I'm already so happy to have paired this pattern with these beautiful fabrics! This is going to make such a sweet quilt, I can't wait!!

Emmy Grace blocks

Happy sewing!
  
Maureen

21 comments:

  1. I adore this! I've been trying to find the collection in the UK but am having difficulty and may just have to bite the bullet and get it shipped from the US. What's this quilt pattern called? I love it! Can't wait to see the finished thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm remaking my Winters Garden Quilt from last Winter (March) so I can make the pattern available soon. At the time that I had shared it and even still there continues to be an interest for me to share this pattern, so now that I have a little extra time I'm going to try to make that happen! :) You can see that quilt here -- http://www.maureencracknellhandmade.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-winters-garden-quilt-and-fabric.html

      Delete
  2. I've been eyeing this line since it came out. I'm excited to see how your quilt comes out. I may make this my next project. I'm kinda weird cause I can only work on one thing at a time! Lol. I've noticed I'm one of the few who do this. Maybe because I'm still new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous fabrics and the block is looking great, looking forward to seeing the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently made three baby quilt tops out of those fabrics - just so beautiful! I'm tempted to buy more for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking Great, I may have to purchase some of this fabric myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fabrics and your blocks are brilliant. I've never dared to cut in stacks - maybe I should give it a go with some scrap fabric first

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh, I'm currently stacking and whacking some DPs. 96 to cut and, umm, 5 completed so far. I obviously need to stop reading blogs and just get cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was my very first quilt pattern! Love it!!! It is so pretty with that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maureen! In deed very beautiful - Fabrics and colours! Thank you for reminding about the cutting - usually i cut one fabric at time and spend so much time for that. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always a fan of the fabrics you use!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fabulous! Love the fabrics and your pattern. I always get bored doing repetitive quilts but I love how they turn out in the end. Must remember to stack and whack!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are beautiful Maureen. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great fabric! Always love seeing what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous, I need to make a plan for my Rockin Romance, this would help. if only I would draw out a plan but I see your going to do that for ME... hheheeheh xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this blog, there are lots of ideas super cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!