This weekend I finally finished up my Scrappy Improv quilt! I'm sooo excited!! It took me a little longer than I thought it would -- beginning Friday, continuing into Saturday, with a nice walk and lots of picture taking on Sunday. It feels really good to be finished with this one!
The final measurement is 68" x 80"! This quilt was made using a quilt-as-you-go method, so for finishing I simply added a few long stitches, running both ways, a 1/2" from each of the quilting seams. I chose to leave the pieced backing large and did an easy peasy roll-over binding to finish. If you look back through the posts for this particular quilt, you can see how it all came together. It was quite the process!
The front of my quilt is made up entirely of the scraps I've accumulated from all the projects I've made over this last year or so, and I finished off the back with five different one yard cuts of aqua & red fabrics pieced together randomly. I chose the aqua & red since from way back when I first began sewing I've wanted to make an all aqua and red quilt. Finishing this one with some of the fabrics I've saved for that quilt just seemed like the perfect thing to do.
Here we have two prints from Riley Blake Designs new collections Apple of my Eye, one from Millie's Closet, all from Skye Reve Fabrics. The others are a Riley Blake Red solid and a Michael Miller Red & Aqua Dumb Dots.
Now that's it's finished, if I'm being honest, there are several things I would have done differently with the overall design. Of course there always will be, but if I just look back it really was such a fun project! I didn't plan anything about it, not even the Improv girl in the corner. I just had an idea and decided to give it a go. It was great to have a project that didn't require much thought, just fun! Now I have this beautiful, large quilt for my family to use, a lot less scraps taking up space in my studio, and a keepsake that is very special to me.
I see a hundred different projects when I look at it, it's wonderful!