Monday, September 13, 2010

Drawing Room Curtains : :

A little over a week ago, after the kids were asleep, I decided it was time for me to make some new curtains.
I had found the most wonderful deal on Fabric.com for the 5 yards that I would need. I chose a fabric I have been searching for a need for ever since I began sewing in March ---  Anna Maria Horner's Shadow in Ivory from her Drawing Room Collection.
I love, love this fabric! It was hard for me to resist one of her brighter prints, but I new this fabric with it's cream background, large floral print, with light brown and darker brown accents would be the perfect neutral I would need to balance out the insane amount of bright pillows I plan to make for this room next, of course. This fabric is also not as heavy as I had thought it would be. It's 100% cotton, much sturdier than a quilt weight, but has this wonderful sateen feel that makes it seem lighter than most Home Dec fabrics I have looked at.
I used this tutorial I found a while back at design*sponge for a little guidance, but didn't really need it. Making curtains is actually the easiest sewing project I have tried, but that may just be because of my helper. ♥
I actually decided to order another almost 5 yards of the same fabric. This time the fabric came from Fresh Squeezed Fabrics, at another incredible price!
I plan to use it to reupholster this chair I picked up last week. Yikes!
It will be the first time I attempt a project like this. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it. : )

16 comments:

  1. Love the fabric! I hope to see that chair when it's done too!

    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wanted to upholster many chairs, but feel there is no way I could master such a project. I wish I could!! Maybe one day I'll be brave...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful fabric...what a great find! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with that upholstery job coming up--I'm sure it will look fabulous, and I look foreward to your upholstery tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Fabric! curtains are super simple to make :)
    I have 2 chairs I need to recover! Both are really odd shapes and I've never done it before :) Good luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I want to hear all about redoing that chair. I dream of the same thing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with that fabric! It will look fantastic - can't wait to see them in place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fabric!!! Can't wait to see the chair! I wish I was brave enough to attempt such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that fabric! The chair looks difficult- but I am sure it will be beautiful! Be sure to post the after pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the fabric of course and i too can't wait to see the chair. i love the look of old furniture with bright and fresh fabrics so much and will be eager to hear how it goes for you...good luck, i'm pullin for ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow great fabrics, the chair is going to look fabulous, please post when finish.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will now begin harrassing Kevin for his hidden seamstress. And once you reupholster that chair, you will be ready to do one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful !!!!! I ALMOST made new ccurtains but got such a good deal ay Target I was happy to cross it off my list ! It's nice to have help with all that fabric !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great fabric! Can't wait to see how the chair turns out too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone! I am well into recovering the chair now and it is REALLY challenging!!! I wasn't prepared for all the padding to be so broken down -- all that was left was orange dust. It was a HUGE mess!

    Pictures soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!