Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Whole Cloth Pillow : :

Some fabric, I think, looks just as lovely left whole rather than all chopped up into little patchwork pieces. And, sometimes it's nice to just keep things simple, don't you think? In my sewing room there's a vintage metal rolling cart that houses all the pillow forms that I'd love to free up as soon as possible to use in the kitchen or out on the deck as a bar cart this Summer. So, yesterday I made the first of several whole cloth pillows -- The perfect quick & beautiful solution to turn those pillow forms into something cozy to use and admire!

A Whole Cloth Pillow

I decided to start by making a new quilted Fletching Chant pillow cover. The last one was made the night before I packed up and left for Quilt Market, using what remained of my arrow print strike-off. Since returning back from Market it's been a favorite pillow around the house, has seen lots of wear, and never had that special, beautiful feel that only Art Gallery Fabrics have since strike-offs aren't printed on their Pima cotton. You can see the first one in this photo that I shared just before packing up and hitting the road!

Off to Quilt Market!

As I'm typing this I'm realizing just how sentimental a print can be. Just thinking about this pillow takes me back to what an amazing experience Quilt Market was for me!

A Whole Cloth Pillow

To add to my "keep it simple" plan for this pillow I auditioned the quilt binding scraps I had laying around for finishing.

Binding Scrap Finish

I added a bit more quilting this time, using a white Aurifil 50 weight, to add a bit more sturdiness and durability in hopes this one holds up better than the first one.

Quilted in White

I chose my Midnight Roof metallic stars print for the back and my scrap of Squared Elements binding was just enough to finish one raw edge of each backing piece for a neat but quick envelope finish!

Backed with Stars

I know I'm going to love digging through my stash to choose what other prints to use for these whole cloth pillows!

♡ Maureen

14 comments:

  1. It is a fabulous choice for a pillow. When looking at all of the fabulous quilt blocks it is easy to forget that simple is a wonderful choice. Pillows are always so fun to create and seeing yours just makes me want to make one right away! Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabric and the binding and backing is just awesome . Lovely, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that! I've got two large pieces of the most gorgeous fabric that I've been hoarding and it honestly had not occurred to me to turn them into a quilted pillow! Now I'm off to search for the perfect binding. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you have used that arrow print in this cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this cushions! a beautiful collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog has a lot of friendliness and a warm welcome
    thank you very much

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!