Wednesday, April 15, 2015

My New Pillow : :

I finally have a new pillow to share, hooray! Although it took me about a week to finish completely, taking a few minutes of extra sewing time here and there, this pillow is truly a super quick make! Along with these photos today I'll be including the details for those of you who'd like to make your own!

Herringbone QAYG Pillow

As I shared last week, this is simply a fun pillow version of my Herringbone QAYG tutorial. To fit the long 14" x 28" pillow insert that I purchased for this project, I started by making four quilt-as-you-go blocks that each measure  7.5" x 14.5."

Scrappy QAYG Pillow Making

Once my fabric strips were sewn to all four qayg rectangles, I squared them up, and sewed them together to create my finished pillow top. I chose to leave mine simple, but added hand or decorative stitches would be really lovely here!

Scrappy QAYG Pillow Making

You can see below that this is the exact same method I use to create my Diamond String QAYG quilts, using just slightly different measurements for my rectangle blocks. One of the many reasons I love this pattern so much is because you can get so creative, using any size block you'd like, rectangle or square for this style of pillow or quilt. For a quilt, just continue making blocks until you have the desired size, sew them together when finished, and attach the quilt back by sewing 1/4" to 1/2" from each vertical and horizontal seam. So easy and a beautiful end result!

Gramercy QAYG

Gramcery -- QAYG

To finish my pillow I quilted up a large piece of this Indie print with an Auriful 40wt in a sweet pink shade. Once quilted, I cut it into two pieces measuring 14.5" x about 16.5" for an envelope style back, and bound each unfinished edge with some leftover bright orange Tule fabric binding!

Herringbone QAYG Pillow Back

Next I made and added my pillow binding in this rich chocolate brown Pure Elements solid. To create enough binding for this size pillow you'll need just 3 strips, 2.5" x wof. Brown isn't a popular choice very often, but I personally have always loved the combination of brown with pink so, when I auditioned all the binding options yesterday, the brown won out and I'm really happy with how it turned out! This pillow will live on our bed after all, and I think a little added masculinity is a nice contrast to all the flowery sheets, quilts, and duvets that dress our bed throughout the year!

Herringbone Pillow bound in Chocolate!

Herringbone QAYG Pillow

Be sure to let me know if you give this pillow design a try! I plan to make many more myself! ♡ Maureen
 

27 comments:

  1. Perfect choice on the binding. It is so striking. My favorite part of the pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally want to make one! Yours is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your pillow. It is such a great size and the colours are amazing.
    I plan to make one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is very pretty. should dress up your bedroom nicely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like your choice of backing, Maureen, and the added orange binding across the opening. Very pretty!! Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great pillow. Like the size and of course the colors are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pillow and appreciate the tutorial. I am making a string quilt as a donation quilt right now and this would be a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is too wonderful to be real! You did a great piece of art - I really admire that. Best regards1

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love pink and brown together and love how your pillow turned out!! Thanks for the tutorial…I'll definitely be making one (or more) of these :)
    cwayons(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a very huggable pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. where did you purchase a pillow insert this size? it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The longer pillow form really accentuates the design! I like this very much and I still want to try your quilt as you go method!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pillow. Thanks for sharing it and how you made it

    ReplyDelete
  14. After reading your article, I am very excited, very lucky to meet you, hope you can as soon as possible from the next works! Come on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That pillow is so lovely! I think combining different fabric strips to create its pattern is a brilliant idea. Not only it turned out nice, but it’s a good way to not let excess fabrics go to waste. Talk about resourcefulness, eh? Thanks for sharing, Maureen!

    Melissa Robinson @ Pillow Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great article and right to the point. I don’t know if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you people have any ideea where to employ some professional writers? Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!