Thursday, February 17, 2011

Purple Stitch Pillow : :

purple pillow
This project is the result of a little experimenting with reverse applique that I started over this past weekend. To my surprise and delight, I was asked to put together a project for the July issue of an online sewing magazine, using an alternative fabric to the typical quilting cotton. I knew I was going to use felt and right away I started scribbling down ideas. I have been interested in the process of reverse applique ever since I read this blog post and saw the work of  Natalie Chanin. Without doing any research I decided to just give it a go -- I immediately loved the outcome!
reverse applique
For the front I used a beautiful quality wool blend felt in this smoky purple shade and one of my favorite prints from Kate Spain's Central Park collection for the fabric layer. The back is a cotton I have had for quite some time. I am not sure where it came from, all two yards of it, but it sure is sweet, isn't it?
a sweet little print
I am going to enter it into this months Blogger Pillow Party, as well as The Great SMS Pillow Contest. My husband has declared this pillow his favorite one yet -- so I already feel like I won something! It is for an old friend whom is expecting in June and has painted the walls of the nursery purple. I hope she likes it, too!

Happy Creating! ~ Maureen

25 comments:

  1. Wow! It's gorgeous! You did a fabulous job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that is so neat to be asked to do something for the online mag! look at you go :)

    also, i have some of that same fabric you used on the back. i love this backwards applique technique too...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the reverse applique! I thought about doing something like this before (the reverse applique) but wasn't sure how curves would go if I used cotton as the top fabric. Felt - duh. How cute! I love the color combos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is simply beautiful, LOVE it! Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, she'll love it! What a great idea to do the reverse applique with felt. This opens up new worlds for me. I've loved reverse applique, but not enjoyed working with jersey. Thanks, Maureen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful pillow!Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool pillow!

    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow - that looks beautiful! and what a lucky friend receiving it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Maureen!
    It's a great technique!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it Maureen! What a talent you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love it. Central park is one of my faves, and I love the combination of colors and textures. I will definitely be using this reverse applique technique in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so gorgeous!!! I love how the pattern fabric really pops! Awesome technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it - purple is just exploding from everywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. The design is gorgeous and the technique is really effective

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pillow turned out beautifully. I love the reverse applique and the hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is just adorable. I saw it on flickr and had to come on over and tell u how great it is! (sorry couldn't spell the first time)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in love with this pillow! I spotted it on Pinterest yesterday and had to feature it on my blog today :) Feel free to grab a button!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this is so amazing and gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!