Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Project Beginnings : :

Thank you all for your kindness and understanding this past week, as well as over the past several weeks that have come after the loss of my Dad.  I'm so grateful to have such wonderful, positive, and encouraging family, friends, sponsors, and readers. From your words we've received so much love and wisdom, from those of you who have and are still grieving the loss of a parent, and now from those of you who have suffered or have had a loved one suffer a similar heart event as my husband just did. Your shared stories have been a powerful and extremely helpful resource for us as we understand what happened, how to prevent a recurrence, and now as we begin to heal after going through so much these past several weeks. We are all on the mend. As for me, at any moment a thought will come to mind and will bring me to tears. It's been a very tough, extremely emotional Summer to say the least. I've shared before that for me creating is medicine, and I trust that many of you who read this blog will understand that. Just as running is so helpful and healing for my husband, this hobby of mine nourishes my soul and spirit, it makes me feel good, as does any great love. Today I'm sharing the first sewing I've done in two weeks, other than a few etsy orders that had to be done quickly. Yesterday I was so grateful to wake up to a rainy day, and as soon as I made it to my sewing machine I felt the calm and soothing of a long exhale, as I began to stitch.

When issue ten of Love Patchwork & Quilting arrived I immediately fell in love with the Hourglass Twist quilt Karen Lewis created on the cover. I even had a fat quarter bundle of the gorgeous Cloud9 Fabrics Grey Abbey collection she used just waiting to become something. Since I had so much fun making my recently finished scrappy hourglass quilt top, loved that this pattern had a twist, and wanted to begin my return to sewing with a project that was repetitive, effortless, and pretty. This was perfect!

issue ten LP&Q

Grey Abbey Gorgeousness!

Grey Abbey quilt beginnings

chain piecing

The quick work of this pattern, a little chain piecing, and since I decided to make my blocks just a little bit larger, easily used up all of my Grey Abbey fat quarters. After laying out each hourglass block and cut piece I only had enough to create a large crib size quilt. Which would be adorable and would give me the quick quilt fix I need, but still I decided to go bigger!

Grey Abbey blocks

hourglass twist quilt beginnings

I'll be adding in my Simpatico stash which I think will blend in nicely, and possibly a few coordinating solids. What do you think?

Simpatico

After snapping a few shots this morning I've tucked these pretty project beginnings away for another day!

Gosh does it feel good to be back in this space! I'd love to hear what you're working on these days?

Maureen

30 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always!! Sending you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been so sorry for your loss and totally understand as I lost my own Dad late 2009. Even though I am happy to see you are back, allow yourself to grieve too. I will support you whether you blog or not.

    As for what I'm working in, I recently found two more boxes filled with fabric and here I thought I was done bolting fabrics. I am still unpacking from a move just over a year ago. I have struggle with the death of my mother late last year, my health, etc., and etc. I am finally getting back into to the flow of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maureen you have been such an inspiration to me! I first saw your post on Facebook...I knew then that I wanted to try my hand at sewing a quilt! I am now waiting anxiously for the 2 feet for my machine so I can start my newest hobby.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sewing can be comforting and healing. Take your time do what is best for you and our family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the sympatico is perfect with this fabric! in my humble opinion the sympatico wasn't standing on it's own too well for a quilt I was working on and blending it with the cloud9 line is a terrific idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both these lines blend well. I so admire your productivity! Compared to others, I seem to sew in slow motion....ha! Right now, I am finishing up a jelly roll quilt and have the fabric put together to start on your Typography quilt. Can hardly wait on that one! My little granddaughter is picking out her verses for the white squares. Take it easy and when the blue days hit, and they will, just get a cup of tea and look at old photos. Remembering the happy times has helped me cope with the loss of my parents. Remember, your cyber family is here for you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Grey Abbey flowers are esp. lovely. Cross-stitch works to calm & focus me. Which is helpful when the ADD is kicking. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your fabric choices they work really well together xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard to believe you had gone two weeks without sewing! As a regular reader it looks like you never miss a beat, I'm always so impressed by your productivity. I'm sure I'm not alone in that, so please if ever you feel like you aren't doing enough and that is bringing you stress, you need not to worry! Take care of yourself, I worry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new project! Being creative and crafty has always been healing for me. Glad to see you're back at it again.

    I have been on a crochet kick the last several weeks, but after I took a Log Cabin tutorial class this past Saturday I think I may have been bit by the quilting bug again! So this weekend I think I'm going to pick my 2 patchwork quilts back up... seeing as it will officially be AUGUST (how'd that happen???) and I have planned for these 2 to be XMas gifts for my nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess my first comment didn't make it through. So sorry for the recent heartaches in your life and sending my most positive thoughts from northern Michigan. I am also just getting back on track with my life and am looking forward to trying your quilt as you go technique when the grandsons return to school in a month. Thank you for reminding me and others that the ability to sew is a gift to be treasured and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt, Maureen. Simpatico would be a wonderful addition. Both are such beautiful collection. Lovely.
    Sending my positive thoughts,
    XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sondra! I'm realizing the comfort I find in these "making rows" style of quilts I sometimes create. It's just so nice and easy going to design as I go, but I'm also so happy to have found such inspiration for this beginning in Karen's quilt design for LP&Q!

      Delete
  13. So glad to see you are slowly returning to your "space". Lost my Dad last July very suddenly and it took me 6 months to be able to cut and piece without making multiple mistakes!
    Thanks for sharing this quilt. I have several of my Dad's cotton shirts put away to make a memory quilt. I think I will use this and appliqué a large anchor over top. He was the Anchor of our family after loosing Mom to Alzheimer's the year before. Plus he served in US Navy!
    Grieving affects all if us differently and several years. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect! Thank you for sharing with us, I am glad you find comfort in your sewing room. Sure he is smiling down on you with pride.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Healing. Such beautiful calming colours, what a great place to lose yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! Today it was back to busy so I was extra grateful for the time I took to work with these. :)

      Delete
  16. Looks lovely. When I saw it the first thing that came to mind was Peace. It's soft, calming colors have a quiet peacefulness to them. Glad things are moving in the right direction for your husband. Time heals, we don't forget but we learn to move forward. I'm glad to see you are back creating ;c) Best wishes to you and your family~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always love your choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene! These colors sure are sweet and pretty, so perfect for right now!

      Delete
  18. So glad to hear that you're getting a chance to breathe, to create, and to see that life can go on. Can't wait to see your quilt when it's done. I had fun doing a sewing lesson with my oldest daughter yesterday, making a pillowcase. She was absolutely over the moon with excitement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Healing and time go together, and adding in some sewing in there, I hope it brought you some peace xx Beautiful quilt you are working on. I needed to just play with some sewing yesterday so started to make some mini log cabins.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sewing has gotten me through the hard processing of a former student's death this past week. Sending much love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the soft colors of these fabrics. It's going to be another beauty!
    I'm so glad your husband is on the mend and I will continue to pray for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such thoughtful comments....
    Thank you for the happiness you bring to so many, myself included.
    Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery for your husband.
    Take care and be good to yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you're doing better. My dad is ill and I know how hard it is to see the ones you love losing the fight to live. Sending hugs your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think crying is probably perfectly normal and healthy after all that you and your family have been through recently. Luckily you have a great outlet in your sewing. I hope you continue to do the things you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad things are looking up again, hope they continue to get better :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!