Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A Scrap Friendly Pillow : :

This past weekend I made a pillow for one of my friends, making use of the long, narrow fabric strips that have taken over my scrap baskets these last few months. These fabric strip scraps are by far the most common castoff to end up in my bins, but they're so very usable, and this quick & pretty pillow make is a perfect way to use them up!

Stripe Pillow from Scraps

To make the pillow front I needed just eleven fabric strips in varying widths that had at least a length of 17.5" -- no problem! First, I quilted my strips to a scrap piece of batting trimmed to a 17" square, and I even added a little Renaissance Ribbon!

Stripe Pillow from Scraps

I used a yellow Aurifil thread to quilt up a piece of my Luminous Field wildflower print to another scrap piece of batting. Binding scraps are perfect for finishing the raw edges of my pillow backing fabrics!

Stripe Pillow from Scraps

Stripe Pillow from Scraps

To finish, I added some matching leftover quilt binding...

Stripe Pillow from Scraps

and VOILA, a new go-to, scrap friendly style of pillow that I can whip up in no time at all!

Stripe Pillow from Scraps

Perfect for gift-giving, I love it! ♡ Maureen

27 comments:

  1. I love this one too! When you say you sew the fabrics to a scrap piece of batting are you referring to the way you qayg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful as usual! And a good idea to help me use up my strip scraps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you put fabric on the back of the batting before you sew up your pillow? I'm curious because I didn't on the first couple of pillows I made, but one of those was for my daughter and we have now washed it so many times that the batting is disintegrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this decorative pillow, I did not, but our throw/accent pillows don't see tons of use and don't need to be washed frequently. When I created a tutorial for a Quilted Pillow Sham, a bed pillow that I knew would get lots of use and would need washed as often as sheets, I did suggest adding a layer of cotton muslin. You can see that tutorial here -- http://artgalleryfabrics.typepad.com/weblog/2012/07/hi-im-maureen-from-maureen-cracknell-handmade-and-im-so-excited-to-be-sharing-my-very-first-fat-quarter-gang-project-with.html

      Delete
  4. I love the way you bound the envelope back. And, you know, the whole pillow. But I really love the binding. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty. I really like the combination of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Yes, I'd say it's perfect for gifting, to me ;) Love the fabrics so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You chose beautiful fabric scraps for your pillow! I really enjoy making quilted pillows and pillowcases, it does help to keep those scraps a tad bit under control. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such pretty designs and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this. It's beautiful, but the ribbon detail just steals my heart. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love the colors, beautiful scraps lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to know more about the cover on your porch swing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The next time someone tells you that, run. Orthodox Jews in the world today are no more likely to be ethical and upstanding in business than pagan black plumbers who snort coke and swing on weekends.

    http://www.lukeford.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!