Friday, October 13, 2017

Settling In : :

My View

This week the big goal has been simply to settle in. Settle into the new studio space that I'm renting downtown, and even more, settle in to how this move changes the day to day I've know for the past fifteen years that I've been a stay at home mother. Home with my babies from the very beginning, every single day until teary-eyed I watched each of them begin kindergarten. Home for the sick days, holidays and Summer vacations. Home each day to take care of the daily chores of cleaning, dog walks, laundry, grocery shopping, dishes and meal prep all while building this fabric world around me. And so far I'm finding it a little difficult to get myself ready and out the door at a reasonable work hour. This is hard people! It has me wondering, and a little worried honestly, how does everything get done? Although this is what I've been working towards for so long now, that doesn't make these first weeks of settling in any easier. It's a big adjustment for all of us that I'm sure will be worth these new transition bumps. Truthfully, it wasn't until the other day after we had moved all of my fabric stash and rolls into the new studio that it really hit me that this is happening!

Moving In

Fabric Rolls

My Stash

Once everything was moved over, right away I decided to split the room in two -- half for my work space and half for collection & sample displays. Once all of my fabrics were back in order on my new yellow shelf, I decided to recreate a mini version of my Soulful fabrics Quilt Market display! This is the first wall you see when you enter the studio. It's been so dark this week, but it gets great light on sunny days I promise. With each new collection it will be so much fun to swap out the display on this wall!

Soulful Display

Soulful Samples

Soulful Samples Table

Since sharing the news, I've received so many encouraging comments and the excitement has been so nice! At times I have felt a little bit of pressure too, when I've read things like, Maureen is opening a local quilt shop or a fabric shop. In many ways I wish that were true, and it's entirely possible that this new journey will turn into those things. But for now, because of the big things like time and budget, I'm starting out with a studio just as I've had at our home for the last five years. Only now I have the space to grow this into something much bigger! I do know for sure that I want to create a community space for sewing and crafting get-togethers, where I can teach with room for selling ALL the things that I make with the fabrics I LOVE, specifically my own fabrics!

Sewing Space

What's most exciting is that there's just so much possibly in this space, much more than I could've ever dreamt for in the space I had in our home. I want people to stop in to visit, to show me what they're working on and to see what I'm making. I want local fellow fabric lovers to see in real life the fabrics that I've designed. I want folks who have never sewn before to stop in and feel inspired to learn or maybe purchase something I've made with my fabrics!

Settling In

Here and there throughout the last couple of years, I'd go on a little making spree for a holiday pop up shop that I always wanted to have but was never able to fully organize and make enough finished goods for. Well I started unpacking those finished items and gifts onto my shelves and it's exciting to see the beginnings of what a little shop area will look like!

Filling Shelves

Sample Space

Once I'm home from Quilt Market stocking these shelves will be priority #1! For the first time I'll have the room to make a dozen of a pillow design if I want, rather than just one to make and blog about! I can't wait to see how things change and what gets made in this space in the weeks ahead!

Thanks for joining me on this adventure!  xo Maureen

35 comments:

  1. Looks great Maureen! I wish I was still in Coudy so I could pop in and visit you and your beautiful fabrics. Next visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a darling space! And putting a mini display for your current fabric line is tenuous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the things will get done. I think it's wonderful that you are now able to have a separate place for your studio. When you are there, you can go full on creative. And when you are home, you can go full on mom/wife. I'm sure you'll still create at home and you'll make menus at the studio, but this is a fantastic way to create boundaries that will help you in the long run. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your studio is beautiful. I hope it brings you joy while you're working there. One piece of advice: store your cutting dies vertically rather than stacked. The weight can actually warp the blades of the ones on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting for you ! Congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW. It looks beautiful. I love the bright happy colors of furnishings
    I think this will get easier as you also get to know clients and companies that are in your office area.
    This is a great big step, I love what you are doing

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so exciting!!! I am so thrilled for you and all the possibilities you are creating for yourself. Love that we get to follow along on this new adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I come live there! Love it! I will definitely stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your new space! I will tell you this, I stay at home, don't have children, and I never get it all done. So really...just quit trying, relax, and do what you can! And most of all, ENJOY this time of your life! It's a new adventure!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fabulous. Enjoy this new stage and adventure in your life. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the new space! It's wonderful. I look forward to enjoying your new creative outpourings from here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done for taking this huge leap, your space looks amazing! I've thinking of doing something similar in the uk but not sure it's the right time... I wish you the best of luck 😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh hey! Maybe you don't need a pep talk but..
    I moved cities 2 months ago. I sewed one small project, but I just started a big one, and I still have so much sorting and organizing to do. I'm unemployed with no kids which means I've been unpacking and getting ready for weeks and weeks!
    So cut yourself some slack, you'll get it sorted and start being productive soon, and it doesn't have to be immediate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on this new endeavor. I know how scary and exciting it can be all at the same time. I'm looking forward to seeing your business grow. It will be a fun adventure. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations.It`s fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a very inviting place! And I think you will enjoy more coming home from it to your family and whatever needs doing (or not doing . . .). Your family will have your undivided attention and you can talk to your kids about how YOUR day went too because they won't be seeing you do your craft at home and know how your day went automatically! I wish you many happy stitches in your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to this big new step. It looks wonderful already and am sure it will inspire you in your future doings. Keep us updated in pictures please. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I have my own studio away from home, and LOVE it!
    I know you will love yours too. It does aid in performance and creativity, since you can think & dream w/o interruption. ENJOY to the fullest! Can't wait to see what you create there! : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks lovely! Congratulations and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So exciting Maureen! Wow, that's fantastic. I love seeing how you set everything up. :) I'm working on trying to get a little studio space myself, so it's great to hear your story.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very exciting and I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You really have an eye for design. It all looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your new place :) If I ever come to USA, this will be a place to visit. I love your fabrics, everything you make, your design and style. I wish you to get lots of fans, who will be amazed when they see your beauty live. Just as I am seeing it on internet

    ReplyDelete
  24. Blog are goods for every one where we get all information we needed nice job keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so happy for you! I was glad that we had a chance to meet and talk at market. Your fabrics are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Heureuse d'être parmi vous et découvrir vos postes. J’espère que vous partagez d'autres notes. Continuez ainsi.
    voyance

    ReplyDelete

  27. تنظيف المكيفات ببريدة والقصيم
    تواجه مشاكل مع مكيف الهواء الخاص بك؟ العديد من المشاكل التي لديك مع مكيف الهواء الخاص بك قد تحل ببساطة تفعل ذلك بنفسك خطوات الصيانة التي يمكنك اتخاذها. القول المأثور "يبقيه بسيط غبي" يقطع شوطا طويلا. قبل افتراض أن لديك مشكلة تقنية الرئيسية التي يتطلب اصلاح مكيف لإصلاحها بعد اتهام لك ثروة، تبدأ من خلال القيام ببعض الخطوات البسيطة صيانة أجهزة تكييف الهواء وفحص بعض المشاكل واضحة.
    شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالقصيم
    شركة تنظيف مكيفات ببريدة
    شركة تنظيف مكيفات بعنيزة
    شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالبكيرية
    أولا عليك دائما أن تكون على يقين لديك فلتر الهواء النقي في النظام الخاص بك. إذا كنت وحدة لم التبريد وهل لاحظت تراكم الجليد أو حول وحدتك في الأماكن المغلقة أو في الهواء الطلق يجب إيقاف مكيف الهواء وإيقاف المروحة على لمدة 6-8 ساعات للسماح الجليد لذوبان الجليد. تذكر
    الجليد ترى من خارج النظام الخاص بك ليست سوى جزء صغير منه. معظم البناء الجليد حتى على المبخر أو لفائف داخل عمل القناة الخاص بك ان كنت لا تستطيع رؤية ذلك تأكد من السماح لها ذوبان الجليد لمدة 6-8 ساعات قبل ان يتحول حدتك مرة أخرى. بمجرد تحويله يعود على يقين الفلتر نظيف، جميع سجلات مفتوحة، والمنطقة المحيطة عن العرض والعودة السجلات هو واضح. إذا كان النظام يتجمد مرة أخرى بمجرد تشغيله سوف تحتاج إلى استدعاء المؤهلين اصلاح مكيف الهواء. يمكن أن النظام الخاص
    بك تكون منخفضة على الفريون. إذا يضيف الفريون ولكن غير قادر على تحديد موقع تسرب يمكنك محاولة "الفريون طقم إصلاح تسرب" تباع عبر الإنترنت التي هي سهلة لوضعها في النظام الخاص بك.
    شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالقصيم
    شركة تنظيف مكيفات ببريدة
    شركة تنظيف مكيفات بعنيزة
    شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالبكيرية

    ReplyDelete
  28. thank for good sharing,....

    [url=http://www.gdslot.com/]โกลเด้นสล็อต[/url]
    [url=http://www.gdslot.com/]goldenslot[/url]
    [url=http://www.gdslot.com/]golden slot[/url]
    [url=http://www.gdslot.com/]ทางเข้า goldenslot[/url]
    [url=http://www.gdslot.com/]goldenslot online[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  29. A heartfelt congratulations on a fantastic topic and a fantastic blog!!! beveiligingscamera systeem

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!