Tuesday, September 27, 2016

From Scraps : :

I've always stored my fabric scraps in one big basket. All of the collections I use and all of the colors mix together. It has never once occurred to me to store them any differently. When the basket looks full, I bundle up the scraps to offer in a destash. Waste not, want not, right?! Well, when you love making stuff, as I clearly do, it doesn't take long for a big basket of scraps to become a heaping mess. So in an effort to control the overflow, I've decided that with each newly finish quilt top, I'll make a matching pillow from scraps before moving onto the next collection and project. I'm not sure how long this will last, but I promise to give it a good try!

First up, an Observer pillow!

Observer Pillow from Scraps

I still had several 8" HST units leftover from making two new quilt tops using this collection -- Diamond Trails and Chevron Angle, in case you missed them! Using those scraps, along with the Observer drawstring backpack scraps and a variation of one of my favorite pillow patterns, the the Hip Holiday Quilted Patchwork Pillow tutorial I designed for ThermoWeb, I made a large 18" quilted pillow cover.

Observer Pillow from Scraps

I love the colors of this collection so much! The smoky blue and mustard yellow combo will forever be one of my favorites. Since the Observer HST scraps that I used for the pillow top had just one yellow print, I decided to quilt this pillow using the same yellow color Aurifil 50wt thread from my Bohemian Garden thread collection to match!

Quilted with Yellow Aurifil

I finished the pillow with a very scrappy pieced together back, including the very last of those HSTs, hooray!

Observer - Scrappy Pillow Back

Art Gallery's Solid Smooth Denims pair so perfectly with this collection, I decided to finish this pillow off with quilt binding in my personal favorite denim, Cool Foliage!

Observer Pillow

This pillow is being added to the pile of finished pillows I've been collecting to offer in a sale a little closer to the holidays. I really love how it turned out and it makes me extra delighted knowing I made it all from scraps!

Happy sewing!  ♡ Maureen  

14 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Might need to give this pillow tutorial a try! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making my daughter's first quilt and I already have plans to use the leftovers for a pillow too! I did it for my son and while he doesn't appreciate the pillow like I think he should I still love it. :) Thanks for being an inspiration to us Maureen! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabrics and the texture of this pillow! Wonderful as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you quilted it with that colour! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea. This pillow is so nicely made. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular idea! I had been saving all of my scraps to make doggy and kitty beds for the pet shelters in our community; well our home got invaded with fleas. Yuck...all of the scraps got thrown out as a safety measure after talking to our vet. Being all flea free once again Yippee...I am saving scraps again for pet pillows. Thank you for sharing your idea also. Have a fantastic creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks even better than Pottery Barn, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hot bikini This is a very good post. Just wonderful. Nice one foto artis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!