Today's tutorial is for a sweet apron set for an adult and child. I use sturdy ticking fabric with simple raw edge applique to add a little Valentine village, that's perfect for wearing all year long. You can use whatever fabrics you'd like with this method of applique to add any details to suit your style or those receiving these aprons. Have fun and be sure to let me know if you give these aprons or any of my tutorial projects a try!
What you'll need : :
- 3/4 yd of ticking fabric
- an assortment of scraps for your applique village
- 1/2 yd piece of heatbond lite
- 1 - piece of fabric measuring 6" x 24" for child apron waistband
- 2 - pieces of fabric measuring 5" x 18" for child apron ties
- 1 - piece of fabric measuring 9"x 32" for adult apron waistband
- 2 - pieces of fabric measuring 8" x 44" for adult apron ties (I make mine extra long to tie in front)
- threads -- black for applique stitching and an assortment of colors or white to match your apron fabrics
- Sewing pins
- Sharp scissors and/or a rotary cutter/mat set
Cutting and Hemming apron pieces
1. Trim selvedge ends from the fabric. 2. First, cut 14" from one side of the fabric -- this will be the fabric for the child apron. Second, cut remaining fabric to measure 18" x 30" -- this will be the adult apron 3. Hem bottom and sides of these pieces by folding over edge 1/4", press, fold again, press, and sew a double seam to hem those raw edges
Once finished, the apron pieces should look like this : :
Cutting and piecing your scraps using Heatbond Lite
1. Cut a large square from the heat bond light 2. Cut scrap pieces out in the fabrics chosen for the village design 3. With paper side down, arrange scraps on top of the heatbond 4. Press with iron to adhere fabric pieces to heatbond
Cutting and adhering the Valentine village pieces
1. Using sharp scissors or a rotary cutter, cut out rectangle, triangle, and square pieces for the village and bunting design 2. Always layout the design first
3. Carefully peel off the paper backs of the pieces, use an iron to press in place. This will permanently adhere the village design to the apron. Don't forget to add the heart! 4. Once the design is adhered to the apron, use black thread to "draw" around the inner edges of each piece added
This is my favorite part! I love the way the black thread make the applique pieces look like a drawing!
Choose and cut waistband & tie fabrics -- see measurements above
1. Fold in outside edges of the waistband fabric a 1/4" on each side, press. Do this with all four sides 2. Fold waistband in half, press well 3. Open waistband, place apron piece centered inside the waistband piece
4. Fold over waistband fabric, pin in place 5. Using coordinating thread, sew a seam along top and bottom edges, leaving both ends open
6. Repeat these steps for making the apron ties, be sure to hem the ends of these as well 7. Insert tie pieces into the opening of each side of the waistband, pin in place, sew
Add a few stitches here, this will get pulled at quite a bit when tying the apron on!
Repeat these steps for finishing the adult size aprons and you'll have a lovely set to wear with your little(s) or to give as a nice gift!
We love ours!!
I really hope you enjoy this project! This is my favorite so far! I know the tutorial has quite a few steps -- feel free to add a comment here if you have any questions! And, always let me know if you give it a go!! My Quilted Valentine Pillow tutorial is being shared today on Sew Can She, feel free to stop by and check that out!!
Have a lovely day, friends! ♥ Maureen