Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bottled Raindows Quilt Blocks : :

Finally, right!? Well, it certainly has been a while since I crossed another bottled rainbow color off my list! My plan from last week worked! Just before I leave my sewing room, I'll open the door to my closet where these blocks hang, and each time I re-enter, they're the first things I see. Is it sad that I am able to trick  myself like that? :)

So, Jacey and I are the only ones I know of who are still v.e.r.y...s.l.o.w.l.y... plugging away at this project. Are any of you? Maybe if we can all agree on a finish date, we can get these done "together"?

bottled rainbows quilt block closet

My cerise block. Isn't this such a pretty shade of purple? I think so!

New Bottled Rainbows

My grass and either my orange or tangerine block. Can you tell these have been folded up and tucked away for a while?

brq block wips

I added in a little fussy cut, green Alexander Henry owl -- I had to!

green block owl -- had to do it!

This makes three more finished! Just three more to go!!!

tangerine brq block

I did pick up a different project last night, so those three will have to wait just a little longer.

Do any of you remember this project? The link takes you back to July 2010, yup! When I began my very first attempt at quilting. Lets just say I was WAY too ambitious! Well, with all the thinking I did throughout January about these past two years of blogging and sewing, this project remains one of my very favorites. It needs to be finished! I'll show you where I'm at with it tomorrow!

Happy February 1st, friends!

24 comments:

  1. This is so very beautiful. I'd sworn off machined quilts as I much prefer handsewn, but could be very tempted to make this up. Are you planning a pattern for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bottled Rainbows Quilt is designed by Rachel Hauser who blogs at Stitched In Color http://www.stitchedincolor.com/

      For this project she hosted a quilt along. It's all right here for whenever you (or anyone else) is ready to begin. :)
      http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2011/02/bottled-rainbows-ticker-tape-quilt.html

      Delete
  2. Maybe you should set yourself a goal of one a week? That way you'll be nearly done in three weeks? And it seems so much less daunting when it's just one in an entire week....good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh so pretty!! I am nowhere near you (other side of the soddin' ocean!) otherwise I would drive over and demand a course in making these lovely quilts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the Bottled Rainbows link sitting my Evernote for soooooo long. I loved the ticker tape version, but your verions are making my fingers itch to actually get going on it! The tree is awesome - the owl is so cute!! - and I hadn't even thought of making pictures rather than just abstract panels.

    I'm so glad it's not just me who has projects hibernate for so long :) Your rainbow is going to look so lovely when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Rachel's original design, but for me to take on such a large project I needed to be able to make each block different from the one before in some way. My original idea was to make blocks inspired by mandalas. You can see that it loses that effect when creating each design within the rectangle shape, but I still like the idea of symmetry and choosing a center applique piece to work out from. I'm really happy with how they look together! Thanks!! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, just adorable rainbow blocks! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your blocks are so special. This is going to be such an awesome quilt, well if you ever finish it that is! LOL ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I simply love this block and colour....do you use the Go cutter for your shapes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your blocks, Maureen. And you are not the only one who hasn't completed this project. I paper pieced a huge quilt for donation and then used scraps of each fabric in the big quilt for my bottled rainbows quilt. Mine are all squares/rectangles. I love your design. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the owl in the tree! I wish I could commit to a finish date with you, but I doubt I'll even pick it up again before May! But maybe I'll finish up this summer. Yours will be a glorious finish! Also, I wasn't a reader back in 2010 when you started your first quilt. That was quite an undertaking! I bet the quilt is cozy and soft. I'm glad you're going to give that project new life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun to see your new creations, Maureen! I love all three of them and that owl was a must do for sure =). I'm also glad to hear you pulled out that quilt. I still believe in it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow those blocs are sublimes. Love the burgundy color, the flower look perfect. how do you that???
    big fan

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look great Mo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the purple sun. I have done a couple applique and I love how they turn out.

    http//richardquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous blocks! Do you have a favourite appliqué method for these?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are beautiful blocks! I love that owl. It will be a beautiful quilt. Some of the best quilts need time to marinate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how you're doing these blocks, the whole thing is going to look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are GORGEOUS (and inspirational) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've just GOT to do something like this, I think a whole quilt is a bit ambitious for me but I'm thinking cushion covers?! Love these blocks, they're really gonna make a fab quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!

If you are a no reply or an anonymous commenter, I will be sure to respond to your comment right here - so please do check back!